Which commercial beers are bottle conditioned?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonesBally

Reaction score
I was having a few beers with a friend who is a home brewer and beer enthusiast, and he claimed that Bell's, Founders, Short's, and Sierra Nevada all have to force carbonate their beers to get a consistent product. I claimed that most of these so called "craft beers" are in fact bottle conditioned. I had some old empties of Two-Hearted Ale, and it states that it is in fact bottle conditioned. My friend was still unconvinced, but I do not waiver in my conviction. I still believe that most of these beers are bottle conditioned. Anyone know for sure?

GilaMinumBeer said:
If showing your friend a Two-Hearted bottle that clearly states it's bottle conditioned is not convincing enough to him,

then it's time to stop drinking with idiots.

When reading this I had the same thought.

Unless they are false advertising at least some of Sierra Nevadas beers are naterally carb'd. http://www.sierranevada.com/faqs_ales.asp

Naturally carbed doesn't necessarily mean that they are bottle conditioned. A lot of brewers will naturally carbonate using the CO2 produced during fermentation by attaching a spunding valve. Others, I believe, will capture the CO2 and put it back into the beer later. Once could argue that putting the CO2 back is "forced carbonation", but using the same CO2 that they produce, meaning it is "natural" instead of process gas.

^ so what's your point? We're pointing out which beers are bottle conditioned. Not whether or not something is carbonated using ” natural” products

Back