sourdough starter using spent grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chass3

Reaction score
hi all,

I just threw together a sourdough starter using a half cup of spent 6-row (which I used to make a starter wort- way cheaper than extract if you've got the time!), a pinch of fresh 2-row, a cup of AP flour, and an 1/8th tsp bread yeast.

I'm hoping to get a pronounced sourness from the spent grain, since it's supposedly crawling in lacto. I'll make bread with this and some more spent grain from my brewday this weekend and report back on how it came out.

hi all,

I just threw together a sourdough starter using a half cup of spent 6-row (which I used to make a starter wort- way cheaper than extract if you've got the time!), a pinch of fresh 2-row, a cup of AP flour, and an 1/8th tsp bread yeast.

I'm hoping to get a pronounced sourness from the spent grain, since it's supposedly crawling in lacto. I'll make bread with this and some more spent grain from my brewday this weekend and report back on how it came out.

Awesome. I was just thinking about making a lacto starter (using grain) and feeding it flour to see if I can get a sourdough culture going. I'm very curious how this turns out for you.

Latest posts

Back