Wit Guy White Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PintOfPlain

Reaction score
Wit Guy White Ale - traditional Adjunct Mash Method:

I brewed this recipe yesterday from Randy Mosher's book. Had a mild panic attack after sitting down and studying the book and realizing I had no idea how to follow this recipe! I had already smacked my smack pack!

Since he doesn't give too many details on the water volumes between the Adjunct mash and the main mash, I thought I would re-post here the info I found from this website which works really well:

http://boakandbailey.com/2008/10/recipe-and-instructions-for-belgian-witbier/

5 GALLON BATCH

ADJUNCT
2 lb US Six Row malt
3lb unmalted wheat (I used a pale white wheat, ground it up in my coffee grinder to about 50% flour 50% small bits)
1lb oatmeal

Malt Mash
3 lb two row Pils malt
1 lb Munich Malt
1lb rice hulls (remember to wet the rice hulls with sparge water (76C) before adding so that they don't soak up too much precious wort!)

0.5 oz Northern Brewer 7% AA 90 mins
1 oz Saaz 7% AA 30mins
1 oz Saaz 7% AA 5 mins
orange peel 5 mins
14g indian coriander 5 mins
0.25 oz chamomile 5 mins

Yeast: Wyeast Wit Bier

Following instructions in Celsius / Litres for conducting the Adjunct Mash - this turned out REALLY EASY

Heat up the mash water (3.5l + 8.5l = 12l) to 60 deg C, then split as follows:
for the “main mash” combine the 4lb of pilsener malt + Munich and 3.5litres of water. Your mash temperature target is 50 deg C — get it there and leave it
Put the remaining water with the remaining grain into your adjunct mash vessel. Target here is also 50 degrees. Keep it there for 15 minutes.
Raise the adjunct mash to 65 degrees, and hold it for 15 minutes.

(Editor note: I started with half the water and mashed like this for 15Mins at 50C. I heated up my sparge water then to 75C and brought the whole thing up to 65C then for the second stage.)

Then boil it for 15 minutes.

You then bring both parts of the mash together. Your target temperature is about 68 degrees (i.e. a hot mash). NB, you will not need to add all of the boiled mash, as this will make the mash temperature way too high.
Mash for 45 minutes, then add the rest of your boiled mash and “mash out” at 75 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.
The amount of sparge water specified should give you a pre-boil volume of around 23 litres.
Boil for one hour.
Don't let your mash get under 71C or else sparging will be difficult!

Editor note: I had problems with sparging on my last batch, but this one I made sure to keep it hot and it worked a treat, 6G done in about 15 mins.
Rice hulls worked great.

Photo attached - beautiful pale yellow colour - tastes a bit bitter now from the coriander lets hope that tones down over the next few weeks.

Wit Guy White Ale - Day 1.jpg

Look'n good! What was your OG for this recipe, and do you have an anticipated FG? Seems like a pretty high percentage of unmodified grains/adjuncts. BTW - Really like your carboy. The wide mouth must make it a lot easier to fill and clean!

501irishred said:
Look'n good! What was your OG for this recipe, and do you have an anticipated FG? Seems like a pretty high percentage of unmodified grains/adjuncts. BTW - Really like your carboy. The wide mouth must make it a lot easier to fill and clean!

OG came in bang on the guideline of 1.052
No idea what this Wyeast wit 3944 will give me

The carboy is a chinese liquor tank they fill them with all types of things here!

501irishred said:
Sounds good, I'd like to hear how it turns out! Any idea if those tanks are available here in the states, online or otherwise?

Hi.
You might try some chinese store see if they have any of those for chinese liquors
Then I go to the glass store and get them to drill a hole in the top for the stopper

Back