Am planning on my first batch of cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinmo

Reaction score
Am planning on my first batch of cider. I am getting 5 gallons of cider. Is it ok to get pasteurized or is it best to get raw cider? What type of yeast is best and is there anything I should watch out for?

robinmo said:
Am planning on my first batch of cider. I am getting 5 gallons of cider. Is it ok to get pasteurized or is it best to get raw cider? What type of yeast is best and is there anything I should watch out for?

...beginners tips. Things I should look out for?

What kind of cider are you looking for? Dry or sweet? That will impact what kind of yeast you'll use.

If you're going to pitch yeast, then there's no reason to go with raw cider. I went with unpasteurized from an orchard and since I've learned that not only does store bought have the same effect, it's also quite a bit cheaper.

You'll just want to make sure whatever juice you get doesn't have preservatives so your yeast can actually get to work.

I am looking for a dry cider what would be a good yeast? If you get raw juice do you still need to add yeast?

Thanks for the link, I may go for a raw cider and skip the yeast all together..if I can find it.

Back