Filling a Sanke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baywater

Reaction score
I have not found the exact answer I'm looking for in the forum. Everyone posts the dissable/assemble youtube video.
I have no problem performing that step.

I want to add homebrew to the 15.5 gal sanke keg. Assuming everything is clean and ready to fill, what are the steps to add my homebrew, carbonate and serve my beer from it?

Thanks!!!
I saw posts about removing a ball, adding a dime..blah blah... alot of people have to be doing this... whatcha got???

Transfer, chill, carb and serve. I guess I dont get the question. You need a sanke coupler but other than that, transfer, chill, carb and serve.

Cheers
Jay

Remove the snap ring, turn the "nut", pull the spear out, siphon your beer in and replace everything.

It wouldn't be any different than filling a corny. Just as the above post mentions, you're going to need a sanke coupler to connect the gas and liquid lines (they both attach to 1 coupler that has 2 connections). Any place that sells kegs will have these. You will just need to make sure that the beer line connected to your faucet has a "commercial" connection on the end so it can screw into the coupler.

Remove the snap ring, turn the "nut", pull the spear out, siphon your beer in and replace everything.

Just came here to confirm this. I kegged my first batch last night in a 1/4 bbl slim sanke. Pull ring (which can be a PITA), turn spear until the 'tabs' are lined up and simply pull it out. Fill, then do what you did in reverse.

Transfer, chill, carb and serve. I guess I dont get the question. You need a sanke coupler but other than that, transfer, chill, carb and serve.

Cheers
Jay

I guess the question is...when I hook the co2 up to the sanke coupler it forces co2 in and beer out the the beer line... I thought there would be a design so I can shut it off and now have beer come out the line so I can switch between a tower or picnic tap.... The only way I can get the beer to stop coming out is to take the coupler off. I don't know if I'm saying it right...but I thought it would be the same as the corny in that method:confused:

I think I understand what you are saying...I'll share what I know. You may already know some of this. When you first put the coupler on the keg, you give it about 1/3 turn to mate the gas seals. When you pull the handle out and push it down, you are completing all the seals and pushing the center of the coupler down. This pushes the "ball" down. Any time that ball is down, pressure from inside the keg is going to push what ever is in the bottom of that keg out through the beer line. The gas only goes into the top of the keg, pushing the beer down and out.

If you want to switch between a cobra tap, faucet, or counterpressure filler, you must completely disengage the coupler from the keg. You will still have residual pressure in the beer line because the coupler should have a check ball that keeps beer in the line from returning to the keg. You can get shut off valves that goes on top of the coupler. http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/fittings-pid-1721AB.html

You dont have to take the sanke coupler off, you just have to pull the handle out and up. That will stop the flow of beer without twisting the coupler all the way off.

Cheers
Jay

There's no way around it, you need to have something in place to stop the flow of beer out of the tap when it is connected.
This could be a plastic "cobra" faucet, and the tailpiece + nut you need to attach it.
Or you could buy one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Shut-Off-Valve-for-Keg/dp/B0002COQRO/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1343993180&sr=8-24&keywords=keg+valve

That piece would go on the beer-out end of your tap, and should stop the flow. (I have one of these. Be careful that you get it fully closed, they can be finicky)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no way around it, you need to have something in place to stop the flow of beer out of the tap when it is connected.
This could be a plastic "cobra" faucet, and the tailpiece + nut you need to attach it.
Or you could buy one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Shut-Off-Valve-for-Keg/dp/B0002COQRO/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1343993180&sr=8-24&keywords=keg+valve

That piece would go on the beer-out end of your tap, and should stop the flow. (I have one of these. Be careful that you get it fully closed, they can be finicky)

Yes thats it!!! THANK YOU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back