SSR Interference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruwsomtin

Reaction score
I was wondering if I can mount my SSR in my enclosure with the heatsink protruding outward. Also, will the SSR cause interference with any of my temp controllers. 2-ranco's and 1-PID.

Many people mount the heatsink outward, saves on having to put fans inside the box. As to interference it's always possible for one electronic device to mess with another, but I can't recall reading of anyone else having this problem with control panels. I did have my wireless control drop out of the network when I would turn my control panel on, never did track that down and just plugged into the network instead.

I've got mine in the control box and I haven't seen any interference. Granted I've only done a wet test, but it seemed to be fine to me. I let you know after I brew on it tomorrow.

You can definitely mount the heatsinks to the exterior. Here's how I did mine:

I cut a large rectangle out of the box, then another rectangle from a sheet of aluminum that was about 2 cm larger than the cutout. Spread a bit of thermal compound on the mounting side of the SSR and heatsink, then bolt the SSR to the heatsink through the aluminum plate. Bolt the plate to the box, and seal it with some silicon if you feel the need.

PC130190.jpg

As far as noise from the SSRs, I have my CP packed really tight, with no shielding on the RTD wires and haven't had any discernable issues so far. Other guys have shielded their RTD wires.

All I did was drill holes for the screws and mounted them on the enclosure with thermal paste on each side of the enclosure. These are actually "20A rated" heatsinks and I have no problems using them on my 40A SSRs. I think the enclosure actually helps with the heat dissipation. If you are using plastic it's a different story...

Latest posts

Back