mini fridge freezer compartments. Who's tried removing them before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegocal

Reaction score
Anyone tried this (I know it has been done a few times before) but what advice would you offer someone considering practicing thi delicate procedure on their beer fridge.

Often time the freezer compartment is where the cooling coils run. In this case I've seen it flattened out and laid against the back wall or smushed up against the top, but I've heard about both of these procedures failing as well bricking the fridge.

Often time the freezer compartment is where the cooling coils run. In this case I've seen it flattened out and laid against the back wall or smushed up against the top, but I've heard about both of these procedures failing as well bricking the fridge.

this is specifically why I am asking. On my fridge, that is where the coolant runs so it could be a problem. if I could just turn the "rack" (the metal barrier) over and have it bump up instead of down then I would be in business. but this procedure could be quite challenging.

It took a massive amount of effort, but I successfully bent open the casing on an old minifridge with a pair of vise grips. On the fridge I was dealing with, the heat exchanger lines were made of copper, so there was less concern about easily busting a line. I was then faced with what to do with the foam insulation around the lines. This I attacked like a hungry rat with a serrated steak knife. Probably not the smartest approach, but once I got started, I couldn't help myself.

Upshot, it was $20 well spent on craigslist, and the thing still runs/cools just fine. Now all I need is foam insulation board and a temp controller and I'll be (hopefully) temp-controlled in no time.

Good luck!

I am at a cross-roads right now on my GE mini fridge...started to bend freezer down to the back but worried about possible line breakage-there is a slight crack right now, but from comments in other threads it sounds like it could just be the paint. Do I 1)abandon attempt, bend the actual metal so I can just get kegs underneath-have basically just picnic taps in there. or 2)Go for it-bend it down to the back....get the setup for a tower....decisions decisions

Latest posts

Back