Done with the bubbles in the air lock after 8 days. NEXT step?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William60

Reaction score
I have cheese cloth and another carboy. Is it time to strain and add brown sugar? I want a lot of carbonation and a high abv. What would happen if I added more dextrose and another pack of champagne yeast?

Are we suppose to guess what you are making or expected to mind read?

Sorry ,I should have been more clear but I thought I posted this to the CIDER section. Anyway,If I added more sugar and yeast will that give it a higher ABV? I want a very high abv sparkling cider when all is said and done. Should I bother with the 2nd r
ound of sugar and champagne yeast or just strain,add sugar and bottle?

Q)If I added more sugar and yeast will that give it a higher ABV?
A)Yes, but you don't have to pitch more yeast.

Q)Should I bother with the 2nd round of sugar and champagne yeast or just strain,add sugar and bottle?
A)Your choice, add more sugar to increase ABV.

If you haven't read Pappers sticky on stovetop pasteurizing, it's time. It will tell you all you need to know about bottle carbing.

Don't strain! You'll oxidize the cider by pouring it through cheesecloth or a strainer. Use a racking cane and some tubing, and siphon to the new sanitized container, leaving all of the lees (the sediment on the bottom) behind. Rack only when the cider is clearing or clear, and that will leave far more sediment behind.

I posted a picture of my latest cider, at the beginning, and then on racking day (about 5 days later):

DSCN1613.jpg

DSCN1637.jpg

DSCN1641.jpg

You can certainly add more fermentables to boost the alcohol %., but keep in mind that you have to know where you started as you do not want to go over the alcohol tolerance of your yeast strain if you want to carbonate it later. Also, you need a hydrometer to know when your cider is finished.

You got it that clear in five days??? What kind of juice did you use?

No, that reading was about 10 days later I think. But it did clear fast!

I used apples from around my neighborhood, so it's all different kinds but mostly tart. It made a great tasting cider, and the hard cider is good but tart also. I racked it off of those lees and it's clear and tasty. It was so good I started another four gallons last weekend.

WTF, why does my cider still look almost just as brown as it did day one - SIX weeks later???

Latest posts

Back