Determining Alpha Acids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cacaman

Reaction score
Hi, I just ordered a pound of hops from Brewcraft for the first time. The problem is, they don't say how much AA their hops have. Anyone know any way to calculate them to input the AA% on BeerSmith? They are cascade hops.

This is what they look like from the front and rear:
Hops1.jpg

If you notice on their 1oz package, they DO include the information:
Hops2.jpg

Anyone have any idea on how to calculate my recipe IBU's with these hops:confused:

I would just email them. They really shouldn't even send those out with the alpha acid content.

If for some reason they can't provide it, a quick google search showed a few places selling 2010 Cascades that are 5.9% AA.

LexusChris said:
If the 1oz pack is from the same year/crop as the 1lbs bag, I would probably assume they are the same. IMHO it would be close enough...

--LexusChris

Thanks Chris, but the 1oz pack was for northern brewer while the pound was cascades.

robtotten said:
I would just email them. They really shouldn't even send those out with the alpha acid content.

If for some reason they can't provide it, a quick google search showed a few places selling 2010 Cascades that are 5.9% AA.

Thanks for the input. Should I email brewcraft or the LHBS?

Back