NB's Surly Smoke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
So I'm tempted to do NB's Surly Smoke AG kit (this would be my second AG) after having a rauchbier at Iron Hill Brewery in Phoenixville. It calls for a lager yeast, and while I might be able to pull that off, I'm not sure how dedicated I want to get to swamp coolering until i can stick it in the fridge. So with that being said, any ideas on using cali ale/cali lager yeast?

The recipe looks fully doable with ale yeast. You won't get exactly the same beer that Surly intends, but unless you're going for a perfect clone there's no reason that should concern you.

For a smoke beer, I'd personally want something clean and malt forward, and I'd definitely avoid anything phenolic. If you can get anything you want, consider using an altbier yeast like WLP036. Otherwise, any clean ale yeast (like WLP001/Wy1056) should work fine.

i did not do it yet, drawdy, however, i do have the ability to lager using a hole in my basement wall and my downstairs fridge. I did a pilsner last year using the lager hole, and it worked out pretty well.

Back