American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So all you guys are just primary fermenting for @ 10 days and then cold crashing and then bottling/kegging? Seems like the beer won't be fully formed to me with that quick a schedule... no?

I only bottle, no kegs..:(

I have the first batch in the secondary. I left it in primary for 9-10 days, then secondaried. My next batch was brewed only two days ago, so it's still in primary.

I plan on leaving it in secondary for two weeks (unless someone says otherwise) and then bottling.

I only bottle, no kegs..:(

I have the first batch in the secondary. I left it in primary for 9-10 days, then secondaried. My next batch was brewed only two days ago, so it's still in primary.

I plan on leaving it in secondary for two weeks (unless someone says otherwise) and then bottling.

That sounds like a fair plan to me...

Just in time for camping!

Brewed 6-7-09 using 6.0AA cascade and bottled 6-20-09. Had my first test bottle last night and it is SCRUMPTIOUS!

I will no doubt be keeping this on hand at all times.

A little pron for ya'll,

batch8-2.jpg

What is everyones thoughts on using this beer as a base for a chili pepper beer?

Just in time for camping!

Brewed 6-7-09 using 6.0AA cascade and bottled 6-20-09. Had my first test bottle last night and it is SCRUMPTIOUS!

I will no doubt be keeping this on hand at all times.

A little pron for ya'll,

batch8-2.jpg

dude that picture quality seems little blurry, and the beer seems a bit hazy. Also seems like too much head?

So... brewed my first batch of this beer yesterday morning. I got the kit from Brewmasters. Hit my OG exactly, and pitched the dry Nottingham without hydration (as specified in the printed directions with the kit) at 70 degrees. First time I had pitched dry yeast. All my prior fermentations have been going in 8-12 hours. Now almost 24 hours in and not even a hint of activity. The Apfelwein I brewed at the same time is happily bubbling away. I know it can take 48-72 hours for fermentation to start... but is this normal for dry pitching? Hydrating is so easy and the fermentation seems to take off a lot quicker.

I've never had Nottingham not take off by the next morning. Are you using a bucket or carboy? If bucket, make sure you don't have any leaks by pressing on the lid to see if your airlock rises. You should see action in carboy.

I have heard the newest version of Nottingham is taking longer. Time for an email to Danstar.

As I noted above, my yeast took a good long while to get going too. Nothing to worry about, just let it do it's thing.

Ed, what do you think about this beer as a base for a pepper beer? I am a few weeks out (like 4 after I bottle) for tasting this beer so I've no idea how it might fair w/ some peppers in it.

I've never had Nottingham not take off by the next morning. Are you using a bucket or carboy?

Ed, thanks for your assistance! For what it is worth... here is a pic of fermentation at about 30 hours.

PaleAle36Hrs.JPG

There are islands of flocculated yeast, but absolutely no krausen. It looks like the airlock has bubbled, but I watched it for about 2 minutes and didn't see any bubbling. I've got more yeast... so if it doesn't take off in next 24-48 hours, I'll probably repitch but hydrate this time.

Cheers!

I just sent Danstar an email explaining the trouble with the new sachets and the static + slow/sluggish yeast. Ed, are you still using the old packs?

I still have some old packets. I emailed my contact at Danstar and he replied today asking for exp. date & lot # which pardoc provided. He will check into it and let me know. He's been very responsive in the past. I met him in Cinci at NHC last year.

FWIW, my yeast took awhile to get going (like over 24 hours) , then seemed to fire off in less then five hours. It still bubbled, but really slowly. Had I not been there during those five hours, I would have thought it didn't do anything.....

Wow, I just had the same problem with my packs of Notty - the first pack didn't fire off whatsoever after 24 hrs so I added a 2nd pack and that took another 24hrs to start up. From there it ramped up slowly. I did hydrate so I was really surprised and the whole time I just kept thinking I wished I'd gone with 05.

Wow, I just had the same problem with my packs of Notty - the first pack didn't fire off whatsoever after 24 hrs so I added a 2nd pack and that took another 24hrs to start up. From there it ramped up slowly. I did hydrate so I was really surprised and the whole time I just kept thinking I wished I'd gone with 05.

what's the expiration date and lot # of your Notty?

I brewed this recipe twice now. First with Cascade then with Amarillo. Both were very nice APA (been using US-6). Soon I'll be brewing it with Centennial only then may very well brew again those three hop versions with S-04. I just like to experiment to get a clear idea of the aroma and taste of different ingredients.

Thanks a bunch for a nice PA recipe EdWort! I believe there's at least three member of our brewing club that brewed this recipe and enjoyed it.

Brewed this a while back but it got acetobacter :( Opened it up to bottle and tasted like applecider, let it sit another week and formed a white mold on top of the beer. Its dumped. Trying again today.

Give it time. It's cookin.

Well... it took about 72 hours to get going, but it is finally actively fermenting with a nice krausen, and active swirling of yeast in the fermenter. Longest I've ever had it take to get fermentation going, even when I pitched liquid yeast with no starter.

Jim

After reading all the great reviews I plan on doing this in about 2 weeks. If I order the kit with crushed grains from Brewmaster's Warehouse, should I put the grains in the freezer for a week. Or will they be ok at room temperature for that length of time?

After reading all the great reviews I plan on doing this in about 2 weeks. If I order the kit with crushed grains from Brewmaster's Warehouse, should I put the grains in the freezer for a week. Or will they be ok at room temperature for that length of time?

They should be OK, but why not ask BW to ship it 1 week before you plan to brew.

Hi Folks
I'm entering this brew in a friendly little competition with co-workers - it's my first ever homebrew. The beers will be judged next week. I cooked up a full boil, mini-mash version on 6/15, so it's been sitting, untouched, in the plastic firmenter for three weeks. Haven't even cracked the lid to look at it.

With eight days til tasting, should I just go from firmenter straight to bottle asap? Or should I transfer from the firmenter to glass carboy for a few days before bottling to get some of the crud out?

Thanks for any advice!
D

Danger44,
How are planning on carbing it? Force carb or bottle carb. I assume force carbbing, because you don't have time to bottle carb IMO.

Danger44,
How are planning on carbing it? Force carb or bottle carb. I assume force carbbing, because you don't have time to bottle carb IMO.

I think my only option is to bottle carb. I'm assuming from what you said that my result might turn out a little flat since I only have 8 days til tasting. Not ideal but that's OK. So, I should get it in bottles asap... do you think there would be any benefit in racking to the carboy immediately before bottling? Or should I just go from the firmenter straight to bottles?

Danger44,
You need to go straight from the fermentor to bottle. Normal average bottle carb time is 3 weeks @ 70 degrees. I don't know of any way to make it quicker myself.

Good Luck.

Its not just going to be less carbonation... the taste is WAY different at one week compared to 3. Even at 2 weeks I noticed a huge change, after a 3rd week it was way better. I wouldnt want to hand in a week bottle carbed beer even in a friendly competition. If its REALLY friendly ask them to give their beers another couple weeks to age as well, change the date.

I must say this is one of the best beers I have ever brewed. I have well over a hundred brews under my belt but this one has been placed in my top 3. Only on day 8 in the keg and it's amazing. An easy recipe to brew, a well balanced pale ale, and just a joy to drink. Looking forward to tasting it again in a couple weeks, and sharing it with friends. Thank you Ed for a great recipe. If anyone out there is unsure of which recipe they should brew next look no further than Ed's Haus Pale Ale... did I mention I really don't like pale ales that much! Thanks again.

Is there any reason why I can't bottle my beer? It did ten days in primary and tomorrow will be 11 days in the secondary. My gravity reading was 1.012 when I put it into the secondary.

If my gravity is the same or lower when I check it tomorrow, is it ok to bottle? Or should it sit and clear up more?

Just brewed this on Sunday. Its bubbling away right now. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the recipe. Its simple, cheap and I'm betting its going to be really tasty!!

OMG I just got back from the welding supply/gas guy and couldnt wait to try my first ED WORT AG. So, I hooked up my cold keg and did the #40 shake and roll and just sampled a somewhat undercarbed beverage. But the taste was good. I ran out of Cascade so I went: cascade,cascade,centenial,cascade on the adds. the flavor is still good, and as far as attenuation is concerned although I did not measure it I can taste a whole lot O'Alcohol.

God Bless You ED!

Got a good buddy who moved to just outside of Salt Lake. The two of us are on web cams, both brewing this up tonight. Havin a blast, cannot wait to taste it =)

i searched the thread but didn't see an answer. I fermented the extract version of this with s-05 because i couldn't get notty. I dont have a swamp cooler (have a small apt and ferment in the shower with a wet towel wrapped around the carboy) to get the temps down to what edwort recommends (68°) but I am within the fermentation temperatures of the yeast (59°-75) at 74°. I should be okay and not have any off flavors, ya?

I'm going to brew this next week. I've got two Notty packets and am considering pitching both to get a stronger/faster fermentation. Anyone try that? Thoughts?

If it's ~5 gallons, I don't see why you'd need two packets. Just rehydrate one and it should be done in a few days ready for the secondary. Keep the second as backup.

pnj if the gravity is lower no dont bottle, if its the same it shud be okay. Did you add any other fermentables like syrup or anything that may not have fully fermented? This cud cause the gravity to remain a bit high but it shud be done

Buffman,
I agree with Paco. If it is a 5 gallon batch no need for two packets of Notty. I have never had Notty do anything but a strong/fast fermentation. That of course my experience. YMMV.

Latest posts

Back