Help MLT failure during mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimerian

Reaction score
I'm using a cooler with a manifold and evidently I must have knocked the manifold apart when I stirred for the mash. I've tried using a stainless scrubby as a filter but that isn't working. I'm stuck here with grains and water in the cooler and no way to get the runnings out. Could I stick my hand down in the grains maybe and try and reconnect the manifold then drain out the grains and extend the mash? Need some ideas here.

No problem sticking your hand in the mash if you don't mind the hot temperatures. If I were in your situation, I'd try putting on some of those yellow cleaning gloves first to see if that keeps your hands from possibly getting burnt. Just listen to your body and pull your hands out if it starts getting too hot. Having a small tub of cold water nearby to cool them off right after wouldn't be a bad idea in my books.

Ok well I found the spot it came apart. Yep it's really hot. Don't have any gloves to use but gonna try putting it back together if I can keep my hands in long enough.

Whew. Found some vinyl paint gloves that let me stay in long enough to get it back together. My beer is saved!

Back