Efficiency/Filter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adeering

Reaction score
So we started BIAB the last 2 batches and got really poor efficiency (60 for first batch and 66 for second) now our temp control wasnt that great as we are working out the finer touches of our equipment and maintaining the temperature but i dont think thats the problem. And the grain was crushed well by AHS so think that isnt the problem.

So I think the actual problem is how i set up the equipment in beersmith and taking into account the water left in the bottom of my pot.

Im working on getting the equipment profile dialed in with all the correct amounts and our next brew going to take the time to measure all the volumes throughout the process and put it in beersmith.

So my question is, should i just accept the loss of what seems like almost a gallon of water below the output and always get more ingredients to compensate or make a filter and try and get that out. Would prefer not having tons of trub in the fermenter (though i know it doesnt do much to the outcome)

Forget about the software right now and concentrate on your process, volumes, temperatures as that what makes the beer the way you want it. Once you get accurate measures of these items you can then dial in the software to help you process the information. Some trub is beneficial to the yeast as well. Take your time to measure and calibrate everything in the process from mash temps to kettle volumes, etc and everything else will be much easier.......

Back