Pre-Prohibition American Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
does anyone have a tried and true recipe for a pre-prohibition American lager? if so please post your recipe, tasting notes, so on. thanks.

mmditter said:
Sadly, I don't, but this is a great thread and I hope someone does have some recipes. I would be very interested to see what those beers tasted like.

I've never had one, but I imagine that they are much closer to a german lager than the current american lagers are. From what I know, prohibition sparked the used of corn and rice in american beers, and those things stuck around after the repeal. (someone correct me if I am wrong there.)

-walker

I did one with 6-row malt and some flaiked maize, don't know if you can get extract that's made out of 6-row though. I screwed up the bittering hops (added twice as many as I should) and it's bitter, I tell ya. Nice color though!

From: http://www.foamblowers.com/Article-PreProLager.html

"The AHA style guidelines for pre-Prohibition-style pilsner call for the beer to be straw to deep gold in color. Hop bitterness, flavor and aroma are medium to high. The use of “noble-type” hops for flavor and aroma are preferred. The grist should include up to 25% corn and some slight sweetness and corn flavor are expected. A low level of DMS is acceptable. Malt flavor and aroma are medium. This is a medium-bodied beer. Fruity esters and citrusy flavors or aromas should not be perceived. Slight diacetyl is acceptable. There should be no chill haze."

I've got a couple of recipes that are very similar to the one on the link in Walker's post. Slight variations but about the same...one's I've collected and am going to try soon too.

i brewed the recipe for father's moustache on mar 11/06
as of today is is still in the primary as i still have 1" of krausen on top and steady bubbles.
this is the first time i used corn - maybe why it is taking so long
i got the receipe on line from palmers how to brew

7 pounds 2 row base malt
1.75 pounds flaked maize(i used corn flakes)
1 oz cluster hops at 60 minutes
1/4 oz styrian goldings at 10 minutes left
1/4 oz styrian goldings at flameout

recommended yeast - bavarian lager
primary at 50 degrees for 2 weeks
lager at 34 degrees for 7 weeks

mashing notes
protein rest 122 degrees 30 minutes
beta conversion 140 degrees 15 minutes
alpha conversion 158 degrees 40 minutes
mashout 170 degrees

since i am just starting all grain i missed the temps a bit but still ended with a starting gravity of 1.050
guidelines were starting 1.045 to 1.055 and ending 1.006 to 1.012

I read an article in teh "All About beer" magazine that had a recipe for one in it. Randy Mosher did the recipe, so it is probably a nice recipe. I'll post it after I go through the next 243 threads I missed over the weekend. :mug:

Imperial Walker said:
From what I know, prohibition sparked the used of corn and rice in american beers, and those things stuck around after the repeal. (someone correct me if I am wrong there.)

I thought that corn and rice were used during the war(s) and that the prohibition reduced the number of breweries. That's at least what they in the Modern Marvels "Brewing" episode said.

Kai

Kaiser said:
I thought that corn and rice were used during the war(s) and that the prohibition reduced the number of breweries. That's at least what they in the Modern Marvels "Brewing" episode said.

Kai

According to my Charlie Papazian book, when prohibition ended there was still quite a strong temperance movement in the US, especially among woman. Breweries were trying to avoid offending them as well as also to appeal to them. They thought women would like lighter beers, so they started to lighten them up with corn and rice.

Generally speaking, only the larger breweries were able to survive Prohibition. Many, many brewers went out of business forever.

rod said:
i brewed the recipe for father's moustache on mar 11/06
as of today is is still in the primary as i still have 1" of krausen on top and steady bubbles.
this is the first time i used corn - maybe why it is taking so long
i got the receipe on line from palmers how to brew

since i am just starting all grain i missed the temps a bit but still ended with a starting gravity of 1.050
guidelines were starting 1.045 to 1.055 and ending 1.006 to 1.012

Flaked corn or maise is only a fermentable adjunt and would make no difference to the time nesesary for primary fermentation.
Should be ready to either do a diacetyl rest or to rack to secondary by now though. I use flaked maise and usually primary for a little over 2 weeks. But you got to remember to let the beer decide when it is done.

just a quick update
this brew has been bottled for around three weeks now
samples taken at week one and two had a definite "corn flakes" flavour and aroma . the colour is amber and very clear.
the sample at three weeks is losing the corn flakes aroma and is a very enjoyable beer. friends are saying it is like a stronger bud.(i am not sure if this is a compliment or not:p )
i hope i didn't change jugs of ice every night for 7 weeks in my ice box to make bud:D
anyway i think i will make this again.
the recipe is under your fathers moustache in palmers how to brew if anyone wants to try it.

Back