high-gravity pear cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZWyatt

Reaction score
So my friends have been wanting me to do a snake-bite... which is like a Black and Tan, but with pear cider on the bottom. Only I've noticed that pear cider has a tendency to have a very low final gravity, and it would seem that it would tend to rise to the top, or at least mix with, the Guinness that is poured on top.

So does anyone have any recommendations about how to do a pear cider that would have a high-enough gravity to be able to settle to the bottom of such a mixture?

I am not much on making ciders, I am just getting in to wine making but it would seem to me that you could, like with beer, stop the fermentation where you wanted it, by adding campden or something similar, to kill the yeast and halt the fermentation.

You also may have better responses if you post this in the Cider Forum, or PM a mod and ask them to move it for you.

You would need to find out the gravity of the guiness. You could kill the fermentation then sweeten with sugar after or sweeten with splenda it does not ferment. It would probably take a lot to make it heavy enough.

I thought about killing the fermentation with some chemicals, but then the yeast would die and I wouldn't be able to naturally carbonate it. I suppose I could force-carbonate then.

Snake bite is Lager and Cider. I's not a layered drink, it's mixed.

With stout

The name snakebite is commonly mistakenly applied to a combination of stout (often Guinness ) and cider. This is properly referred to as a Poor Man's Black Velvet.

Here's something for the label

snake-bite.jpg

Back