Bigger batch re-pitch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed an Amber Lager (wyeast 2112). I woukd like to repitch the slurry or use the yeast cake for a new batch. I understand to do this the new batch needs to be a bigger beer. Is it just bigger in OG or OG and color?

You don't have to make a "bigger" batch.

Use yeastcalc or mrmalty to determine how much of the slurry to use, scoop it out into a sanitized jar, stick it in the fridge, clean the fermenter, brew your new batch, chill and aerate, then pitch your slurry from the fridge.

At least as dark, at least as hoppy (unless you want the cake to make the second beer darker/hoppier than it started out).

Doesn't need to be bigger OG, but, typically, you'll only do this with a high-gravity beer that needs *A LOT* of yeast. You don't need to bother with a normal-gravity beer, which will ferment just fine with just a starter or a packet of dry yeast.

If you want to brew a less hoppy, lighter beer, you can also look into washing your yeast to separate it from the trub.

I just started washing my yeast. Not sure about process yet. I have wyeast 1056, in mason jars in the refridgerator. It has been 2 weeks and there seems to be a lot of trub with the yeast. I guess practice makes perfect.

Back