Sanitizing lid for bucket fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBMbrewer

Reaction score
I have always used glass carboys but I am about to age a triple on several pounds of fruit and don't like the idea of stuffing peach meat down the narrow hole of a carboy (seems to beg for infection). So I'm going to use my bucket fermenter for the first time.
How do YOU sanitize the the lid. I'm sure the answer is simple but its just not coming to me.
Thanks.

I usually put sanitizer in the bucket, put the lid on and then shake. Then make sure to dump out the sanitizer before transfer anything in there.

I just fill the bucket with Star-San and put everything in there while the mash/boil are going on. Just turn the lid sideways and stuff it on in there. Don't worry about deforming the bucket. When you snap the lid in place after transfer it makes no difference at all.

i took a brew class a few weeks back and i noticed the brewer had some iodophor solution in a spray bottle and he just sprayed the lid and let it air dry. i'm trying to figure out the water to iodophor ratio but i hope this helps. if you can't get a spray bottle i would just fill the sink up and put iodophor in it and soak the lid

I just fill the bucket with Star-San and put everything in there while the mash/boil are going on. Just turn the lid sideways and stuff it on in there. Don't worry about deforming the bucket. When you snap the lid in place after transfer it makes no difference at all.

That's what I do, and rotate the lid so it all gets wet with sanitizer.

Another option is a spray bottle with sanitizer in it.

thanks for the tips. those are definitely the simple solutions that just weren't coming to me.

I use a bigger tub of starsan that I just keep full (I use the same solution for a couple months so I am not buying starsan constantly). But, the bigger tub lets me just throw the lid right in and submerge it, along with tubing, buckets, bottles, bottle fillers, whatever I happen to need to throw in. I know things don't need to be submerged, but it is just really handy to throw a bunch of stuff in and pull it out as you need it. Also, absolutely no worry as to missing a spot spraying it or anything like that. Probably overkill on the sanitizing, but extremely simple and convenient.

I use a bigger tub of starsan that I just keep full (I use the same solution for a couple months so I am not buying starsan constantly). But, the bigger tub lets me just throw the lid right in and submerge it, along with tubing, buckets, bottles, bottle fillers, whatever I happen to need to throw in. I know things don't need to be submerged, but it is just really handy to throw a bunch of stuff in and pull it out as you need it. Also, absolutely no worry as to missing a spot spraying it or anything like that. Probably overkill on the sanitizing, but extremely simple and convenient.

Spot on. This is what I use also.

You can get a spray bottle at almost any Wal-Mart/Kmart/Target type store or your local DG.

An 8oz bottle of Star San lasts me about 35 batches.

My fermenters have spigots and I'll sanitize the spigot and the bucket lid at the same time by opening the spigot and letting Star San pour over the bucket lid.

You really need to take spigots apart to clean and sanitize them. That is one of the reasons I use the bigger tub. I take apart the spigot, throw all the parts, the lid, the bucket in the tub of starsan. I reassemble the spigot and put it in the bucket, while it is underwater. Then I turn the bucket upside down to get the top half of the bucket. Just before filling fermenter, I submerge the bottom of the bucket, spigot, get starsan solution in the spigot and bottom of bucket, swirl around one last time and then shut the spigot, empty bucket and put a sandwich bag over the spigot with twist tie to keep dust, etc. out of it during the 2-3 weeks it ferments. after fermentation is done, take bag off, spray it with starsan well when I want to move to keg.

Back