Please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggbert

Reaction score
I recently finished brewing my first batch. It's the Brooklyn summer ale kit from Austin Homebrew. I've attached a picture of it and am not sure if that's an infection or what it is. There is a film over the top that is hard to see in the picture. I am going to bottle it and wait about 2 weeks to see how it tastes. What do you guys think it looks like?

IMG-20120916-00167.jpg

Congratulations! You made beer and it looks fine, I assure you it will much prettier in a glass once carbed and ready to drink so get another batch going because this one will disappear quick!:tank:

duboman said:
Congratulations! You made beer and it looks fine, I assure you it will much prettier in a glass once carbed and ready to drink so get another batch going because this one will disappear quick!:tank:

+1 on that.

Looks suspiciously like my Belgian Dubbel I made from a Brooklyn Brew Shop kit. Never had any signs of fermentation, and it was a one-gallon batch in a growler so I couldn't get a hydrometer reading. Figured it was trash but it was only going to cost me a half-dozen caps to bottle it, so I went ahead. Gave it two weeks, stuck one in the fridge and got a reassuring hiss when I opened it. Turned out to be....OK. Seemed to be awfully cloudy and sour, but maybe that's just what Dubbels are like (I'm not a fan of the style, but I got the kit as a gift so figured I'd try it). So go ahead and bottle, it's probably just fine.

Yeast rafts!! The yeast are whiteworter rafting, fishing for simple sugars, rifle hunting for big chain sugars, and farting CO2 on each other.....huh huh huh huh!

beavisandbutthead.jpg

Looks like yeasty left overs from the krausen to me. A thin film that looks like oil on wet pqavement is hop oils.

Back