Should I pitch more yeast to naturally carb? 6.3% ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethP

Reaction score
It's for a Black IPA (OG 1066) that I have going right now that is sitting at 1.020 right now after 2 weeks in the primary and I plan on transferring to a secondary for another 2 weeks, dry hopping the last week.

I will be kegging the batch but I was thinking I'd let it carb naturally just to keep me from getting my hands on it for another 2 weeks but I started thinking about the alcohol content and viability of the yeast that are still alive to carb it. I'd like to avoid dumping more sugar into it for no reason and I don't have any yeast on hand. Any ideas? Would I get a little bump in ABV from naturally carbing it? At the moment I'm leaning towards a force carb.

no need to add more yeast...more than enough will be left in suspension to carb by just adding sugar

EDIT: if you are kegging then no need to add more yeast

Pretty much all yeasts would be comfortable at 6.3%, and honestly most well beyond that point.

The yeast do not die just because fermentation is complete, they just go dormant. And just because you see a giant yeast cake in the bottom, and your beer looks clear, doesn't mean there isn't plenty of yeast in suspension. In fact short of filtration, there isn't much of a way for homebrewers to eliminate enough yeast from the beer to prevent refermentation should you add more sugar.

You could carb it either way. Naturally will add a small but negligible amount of alcohol to the beer.

I'd like to avoid dumping more sugar into it for no reason and I don't have any yeast on hand. Any ideas? Would I get a little bump in ABV from naturally carbing it? At the moment I'm leaning towards a force carb.

Without sugar, it won't carb up...unless, of course, you force carb. So if you don't want to add sugar, then force carb it. But if you want to avoid diving into the beer too quickly, do the force carb by the long & slow method by just putting it on serving pressure...that way it'll take a few weeks before you can drink it.

Back