Opinions on Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxamuus

Reaction score
Ordered the NB catalog and was showing it too SWMBO and she saw the stuff on mead and thought it might be good to try. Never tried mead and i dont think i have ever even seen it in the Liquor store, but i live behind the Zion curtain so that isn't saying much.

What does mead taste like? I enjoy the "lighter" (wheat beers) to "Medium" beers (Ales) Enjoy wine as well, just not sure what mead is like at and just curious on fellow beer drinkers take on it.

Thanks

From everything I know it generally tastes like a dry white wine.

If you choose a variety of honey higher in maltose it will be more of an off-dry.

I'll know more in another 6 months or so when my first batch is ready.

Ordered the NB catalog and was showing it too SWMBO and she saw the stuff on mead and thought it might be good to try. Never tried mead and i dont think i have ever even seen it in the Liquor store, but i live behind the Zion curtain so that isn't saying much.

What does mead taste like? I enjoy the "lighter" (wheat beers) to "Medium" beers (Ales) Enjoy wine as well, just not sure what mead is like at and just curious on fellow beer drinkers take on it.

Thanks

My friend made some a while back and it was OK. I certainly wouldn't put any effort into making it. Your best bet would be to go to your local specialty beer store and buy a bottle first.

It's more like wine than beer. You can make it dry, medium sweet or sweet.

Its different, that's about the best way I can put it. Not bad, but I don't know that I'd want a full batch worth of it lying around. I definately recomend buying a bottle if you can and trying it first.

Back