Adding extract to a kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatfatbastard

Reaction score
Howdy

A couple of days ago I was at my LHBS to pick up some extract for my wife (she is using it for the Thanksgiving turkey). The smallest amount they sold was the 3.3 pound cans, so I picked up a can of Muntun's Amber LME.

While I was there I also picked up a Brewer's Best Robust Porter extract kit. My question is this, since the recipe my wife is using the extract for only calls for a small amount (like half a cup or something) can I add the extra to the Porter kit? If so would I wind up with something like an Imperial Porter? What exactly would it be called. Is there a website I can enter these ingredients in to so that I know what my OG should be given the fermentables I'll be using?

You would have a gravity of around 1.075+/- depending on the specific extracts and exactly how much was removed from the Munton's can. You might want to add a small amount of bittering hop, perhaps 1/2oz of something in the 4-6 alpha range, but it wouldn't be a requirement. If you like a malty, sweeter Porter leave it as is, if you want it a bit more balanced go with the 1/2 oz... Either way, it's a beer I would like a taste of :D

If you happen to have a smart phone, there are a number of free apps out there that will do the sort of thing you want.

Sounds great. I'll run to the LHBS at lunch today and grab 1/2 ounce of Northern Brewer or similar. Thanks!

Back