Need some grains milled! Outside of Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jabobs

Reaction score
I'm in Buffalo Grove, IL, northwest of Chicago, and I accidentally ordered some grains un-milled for what would be my 2nd All Grain brew.

The 1st batch seemed to have gone great, and I can't wait to brew the next to keep the pipeline full, but I'm not ready to buy a grain mill yet.

Anyone have one that they could help me out with!?

Its only like 12lbs of grain.

I no longer live in the area, but there is a LHBS near 50 and 176 in Libertyville. Nice little place, I'll use them again when I get out of the Navy.

If you must get it done, i would suggest a blender, a cup of grain or so at a time and pulse the blender to chop the grains into pieces yet not flower. Perhaps decrease your batch size a tad to compensate for potential low efficiency. You can always add a little water if you overachieve. I have read of people doing this w/ success. Good luck.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/using-pasta-maker-mill-grain-75784/

I just picked one up with a printed out 50% off coupon for micheals. $12 for a mill aint too shabby. it took a little diy'ing but i made a hopper, scored the rollers, and shoved a drill bit into the crank socket. crushed about 20# of grain in 30 minutes and the crush looks just as good as i get from my lhbs.

It might not be any help for this batch, but you'll need a mill of your own eventually, and for less than $20, why not?

Latest posts

Back