Looking at drilling hole into cheest freezer, where to drill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutchemist42

Reaction score
CC3059A4-304B-40B4-8950-B9EAA678FEB7-3051-0000071DB87E40A9.jpg

I'm looking at moving the tank to the outside for space reasons and easier adjusting. Looking to put a manifold through but don't know where to drill for these things. Does it vary widely across different brands and models or do they mostly follow a similar design?

Thank you.

If you just need to run a co2 line in, I'd just cut a hole in the middle of the weatherstripping between the lid and freezer and snake the line through there.

I'd look for repair drawings for the make/model freezer. That will show you where the coils are located. Once you know that, you can plan the hole placement.

Personally, I think the collar idea is a sound one. Even if you just use some 2x4's to do it. Then get one of the gas bulkheads (Austin sells them) to send the CO2 into the keezer. That way, you don't need to worry about sealing around the hose. Plus, it gives you other options. Like connecting a ball lock post to either side for easy connect/disconnect of the CO2 without needing a wrench. :D I'm looking at doing that with at least one of the CO2 feeds going into my brew fridge.

I'd look for repair drawings for the make/model freezer. That will show you where the coils are located. Once you know that, you can plan the hole placement.

Personally, I think the collar idea is a sound one. Even if you just use some 2x4's to do it. Then get one of the gas bulkheads (Austin sells them) to send the CO2 into the keezer. That way, you don't need to worry about sealing around the hose. Plus, it gives you other options. Like connecting a ball lock post to either side for easy connect/disconnect of the CO2 without needing a wrench. :D I'm looking at doing that with at least one of the CO2 feeds going into my brew fridge.

I did something similar, but just used standard gas QD's you'd buy at the hardware store. It makes it a lot easier to pull off the CO2 tank for refills, pushing beer from fermenter to keg, and (believe it or not) blowing out my sprinkler system in the fall. You really do want to put a check valve or at least a ball valve in there though, to make sure you can hold pressure in your kegs when the gas bottle's not connected.

Mine was in my garage, and it was hot as hell, and the thing had been running a long time. I could feel by touch where the coils were...it was warm to the touch. There was really only a couple of areas where there were no coils, it was within 1-2" of each hinge. Took my time, drill through the metal, stuck a thin wire in there to check, and then finished up.

maybe you set the thing really low and let it run a while and do the same.

The lid is always a safe bet

Yup. That's how I brought CO2 and DC power for the tower and dehydrator fans into my keezer, right through the back edge of the lid, with some rubber grommets to protect the lines from being sliced by the lid metal.

Piece o' cake, no worries about degassing the freezer ;)

Cheers!

I just don't feel like spending $50-70 dollars for something I feel is not worth it plus the money on additional connections.. Opening the keezer for 15 seconds a pour once a day is not the end of the world to me.

I just don't feel like spending $50-70 dollars for something I feel is not worth it plus the money on additional connections.. Opening the keezer for 15 seconds a pour once a day is not the end of the world to me.
It may not be worth it to you, if your only pouring ONE beer a day I would agree with you. On the other hand I have gone that route 17 years ago and found MOLD growing inside the picnic tap inside. I have replaced gauges that rust inside kezzer, and in a humid place like where I live keeping moisture out of the kezzer is critical to mold control. My kezzer has 12 taps, I have 4 more kegs carbing and can't imagine with people over having to open lid every time someone wants a beer.

Go for the collar! It is cheap and takes very little carpentry skills. Plus you can customize your keezer in whatever awesome way you want, even if you don't plan on installing faucets any time soon. Maybe the additional height would allow you to have the gas tank (or another keg) on the hump.

...also you could mount your temp controller onto the outside of your collar, and the manifold on the inside.

You can drill into the compressor hump safely. There are no lines there. Drill the hole big enought to fit a grommet in it to avoid cutting the CO2 line.

Latest posts

Back