Good in the bottle, flat in the glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colaarmbar

Reaction score
So I made my first ipa and it turned out great. But when I pour it into a glass it doesnt seem to be as carbed. About the first half will be bubbly and good but by the time I get down past the half way mark it is pretty flat. I tried rinsing my glasses to make sure it wasnt the soap but it didnt help. What do yall think.

Bottled for about three weeks and the priming sugar came with it. I can't remember how much out was. I am guessing 5 oz

The higher the gravity, the longer the beer takes to carb and mature. Forget about them. In 3 more weeks they will probably be spot on. Too early to be worried.

The higher the gravity, the longer the beer takes to carb and mature. Forget about them. In 3 more weeks they will probably be spot on. Too early to be worried.

X2. I had a batch that was a lighter beer but still took quite a bit of time to be carbed. I ended up drinking a different batch for awhile and went back to it. After giving it over a month in the bottles it ended up being one of the best beers I've made so far, and one of the most popular. Also make sure your bottles are stored in a warmer (like 65-70 degrees F) area to push the yeast along. Too cold will cause it to take longer.

I believe the train of thought around here is to leave in the fridge for 24-48 hours minimum before drinking. This allows the beer to better absorb the CO2, and retains carbonation longer after opening.

I agree to the above it took about two months to get my IPA fully carbed

Definitely give that beer a couple more weeks at room temp. and then at least 3-4 days in the fridge. You may be surprised at the difference.

Latest posts

Back