Pitch Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelletben

Reaction score
I ferment in a closet that has a constant temp in the low 60's. I started my brown ale at 65F and used at temp controlled ferm wrap to get it up to my intended ferment temp of 67F. But, After 36 hours the temp was up to 73F. Should I have pitched at a lower temp?

The beer warmed itself up due to fermentation being exothermic. Better to start lower and let the beer warm itself up, provided it doesn't go too high. You can buffer the extreme temp changes via submerging half of the fermenter in water.

Thanks. I have the heating side covered but was trying to avoid cooling. I see now that if I pitched at 60F and then let it go. It should rise another 7 degrees (as it did) to my ferment temp.

I pitch my ale yeasts in the high 50s and let it rise into the low 60s, carboy half-submerged in cold water in a dark 65 degree room. My brews always turn out great and with this somewhat controlled fermentation I don't even have to look at it for 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back