How to measure IG with floating fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelleomi

Reaction score
First time fruit wine maker!

I recently started some cantaloupe wine by melonballing the cantaloupe instead of pressing it for juice. Topped it off with water and added sugar. Is there any way to measure the initial gravity with the chunks of fruit in there? I read that people let the fruit sit overnight before adding the yeast, is that to extract the sugar and get a more accurate reading, or is something degassing? :confused:

chelleomi said:
First time fruit wine maker!

I recently started some cantaloupe wine by melonballing the cantaloupe instead of pressing it for juice. Topped it off with water and added sugar. Is there any way to measure the initial gravity with the chunks of fruit in there? I read that people let the fruit sit overnight before adding the yeast, is that to extract the sugar and get a more accurate reading, or is something degassing? :confused:

I use a nylon bag to store my fruit, this keeps the pulp contained and makes juicing easier.

When you mix the ingredients, it should include the Camden tablets or metabisulfite. This allows the sulfite to have the night to inhibit the wild yeast before you add the cultured yeast.

Back