Yet another "rate my crush" request...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 40839

Reaction score
My John Beeresque grain mill is built, and I'm brewing up tomorrow, so it's going to get it's maiden voyage. But before I run the 25lb grain bill through it, I shoved a pound of 60L (a friend of mine bought a sack of it and split it, so with 25lbs in the bank, I've got a few to spare!) to evaluate the crush. To me, it's looking like it needs to be tightened, with husks that look shredded, but wanted to get everyone's feedback before tinkering (I don't have feeler guages, and won't be able to get any prior to the weekend...)

Click the images for the full size, humongous versions!

I like a little more flower in my crush, it doesn't look bad though.
There's actually a fair whack of flour in there, most of it stayed in the bottom of the bucket (there was only a pound of grain through, and I just scooped the crush out by hand)

I think it looks pretty decent, especially if you are getting some flower. You can spritz your grain lightly before milling with plain water to minimize the shredding if it bothers you. There is a very good How-to here somewhere that describes the proper way to do that, but I can't seem to lay my hands on it at the moment.

Are those like figure skating numbers? I never could figure out what the top end of those scales are. :drunk:

I was thinking diving. And I can understand the confusion, most of the male skaters have as much top end as the women. anyones guess which scale they are on.

Latest posts

Back