Plate chiller cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baer19d

Reaction score
What's the best way to clean a plate style wort chiller? I have a Shirron wort chiller which I pump hot soapy water and sanitizer through after I'm finished brewing but there's a thin layer of something or a stain on the inside that I'd like to remove. Is there a solution that I can run through it? Baking soda maybe?
Thanks, Mike

I flush it every way with hot PBW and before use I cook it in a pressure canner. That nukes everyting.

And the high temps in the canner don't hurt it?

I've had junk stuck in mine and had some infected beers, so I'm hesitant to use it until I'm sure it's really clean. I"ve soaked and soaked with PBW and LLC (a caustic cleaner) but I can still get flakes the size of glitter out. I'd like to try the pressure cooker method.

I flush it every way with hot PBW and before use I cook it in a pressure canner. That nukes everyting.

I had been recirculating cold PBW through mine multiple cycles every time and it would always come out at least some shade of green. The last few batches I've recirculated 180 degree PBW and 180 degree sodium hydroxide. Rinse, PBW, rinse, Sodium Hydroxide, rinse. Water that comes out after that has been perfectly clear. Make sure you switch the flow so it goes through the chiller both ways for each step.

I've heard that baking and pressure cooking you need to watch out for the teflon tape sealing the pipe threads, but I haven't done this. It's possible that that was only if you run it through the cleaning cycle on the oven.

Simply baking or pressure cooking will not hurt the plate chiller itself.

Latest posts

Back