M4a to MP3

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewiz

Reaction score
OK guys I just got 12gig's of music but it's all in M4a format, what is a good FREE program to convert it to MP3?

JHymn used to be great, but I don't think it's been updated since Apple made their DRM tougher to crack. If you have iTunes 6.0 or less, it will still work, but I don't think 6.0 will even let you buy music anymore.

So...the only 100% option I'm aware of is to cut CDs with your music, then rip to MP3 from the CD (use CD-RW media). Of course, that's a lot of work for 12Gb of music.

I'm guessing someone else has a better method...

I hate wasting the media so I use Audacity to record while it plays in iTunes. Not the best solution (I used JHymn as well) but it works for the few songs at a time that I purchase. Definitely wouldn't work for 12GB.

You might try Cdex also, IIRC it 'll do it as well.

Why not just use iTunes? All you have to do is right click on the m4a files and there's an option to convert to mp3. Seems easy to me.

dblvsn said:
Why not just use iTunes? All you have to do is right click on the m4a files and there's an option to convert to mp3. Seems easy to me.
Doesn't work if they're protected. Otherwise, that's the best option.

Yuri_Rage said:
Doesn't work if they're protected. Otherwise, that's the best option.

So ya can't! I don't buy songs off of iTunes, all of my music was ripped off my cd collection and never had that issue. Learn something new everyday. :mug:

Latest posts

Back