WHAt happened here....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beermaker

The NAVY WALRUS
Reaction score
I brewed a batch of peach wheat 2 weeks ago. I added 2 cans of peach puree to the 2ndary. When I kegged it yesterday, it was slimey. I never have seen this before. Anyone ever see slimey, stringy beer in secondary? It was finr in primary, but screwed up in secondary. I carbonated it, but will prolly toss it out.

There are two things I can think of...but by no means do not take my word for it...
1) Could be a ropy infection ( I have no idea what this is but i remember reading something about it here )
2) Could be something with pectin in the peach puree ( again I am not sure if peaches have high pectin levels)

but those may be two things to look into

A rope 'infection' I believe comes from Acetobacter aka. vinegar bacteria. You'll see what looks like ropes in the liquid, and it does have a slime. If it looks like ropes and has a tart flavor, then it probably won't get much worse (in terms of the transformation to vinegar) as they need 02 to survive.

It doesn't sound that appealing though.

Back