Does Pils + Vienna = Pale Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackAlleyBrewingCo

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been told that adding a little bit of a darker malt like Vienna or Munich to Pilsener malt produces the equivalent of a Pale Ale malt. Is this correct? It seems to me that while the colors might be the same, the flavors will differ.

Pale malts are made from different grains than are Vienna, Munich, or Pilsener malts. Also, although I've personally never mashed a Pilsener, I'm given to understand that because Pilsener malts are so highly modified, they require mashing techniques that are different from Pale malts. (e.g. a stronger protein rest).

So no, no combination of them will be the "same" as a Pale Malt. Whether you find a particular combination to be similar tasting will be a matter of taste for you to decide. I've not tried that combination myself in the past, but from using the grains individually, I believe that it'd be close, except maybe slightly fruitier.

One malt plus another never ever equals a different malt. Ever. crystal 40 + crystal 60 != crystal as well. You are correct that you can match colors, but flavors are different. Basically in math terms A + B = A + B. A + B != C.
Single infusion is absolutely fine for pils. Now for the style of beer you are making, you may want to change that.

Latest posts

Back