backsweeten raspberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrug

Reaction score
Started a batch of raspberry wine and i was trying to find something to backsweeten with, any suggestions?

I used frozen white grape and rasberry concentrate. One can is enough for my taste, sometimes two. ( in a five galeon batch ). Remember to let whatever you use to sweeten, set for at least a day before adding more. I can't do unfermented cane suger, and really like the flavor profile of juice concentrates better anyway.
If you already have a strong rasberry flavor you can use apple juice concentrate instead. It is more mild in flavor.
Enjoy!

I used simple syrup to sweeten and it seemed to make the wine cloudy. Did I screw something up? How long should it take to clear again?

Hmm. I have never used a simple syrup but did not think it would cloud your wine. Was it not as done or clear as you though and is starting to ferment again? Did you add campton or sorbate to it the day before?
I have not had a wine cloud up after backsweetening. Referment yes, but it still stayed quite clear. Not 100% clear, but you really had to look to see any cloudiness.
I would just wait it out. It should clear up on its own in a few weeks. Maybe check the sg next week just to see if it is stable or refermenting.

I added sorbate waited a couple days then backsweetened. this not happened to me before either. can I add clearing agent after backsweetening? thanks for the quick response.

I assume you can use a clearing agent after backsweeting. However I really don't know. I would wait a week before doing anything. Unless you are in a hurry to botttle.

Latest posts

Back