Home Brew Secrets for the Married Man

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
You expect many sacrifices being married, but let this guide help you on marriage and homebrewing...

Here is my guide to finding harmony between homebrewing and married life.

First and foremost, use propane and a high BTU burner to brew your beer outside. This keeps the mess out of your wifes kitchen, and also the smell. I've noticed that around 50% of women like the smell of brewing (my wife loves it, and its the reason she goes brewery hopping on our vacations). The other 50% HATE the smell and will avoid it at all cost. My buddy had to stop homebrewing because his wife detested the smell indefinably... poor guy.

Now that you have brewed the beer it comes to Sanitizing your equipment for the next batch. Unless you have a special area all of your own to rinse and clean equipment you have to make a deal with the Misses. Keep her area clean. I would wait until my wife would go on a walk or do something time consuming to clean my equipment, and she would never notice. My wife loves that I brew, but she *HATES* messes... her hate for messes hat makes her kitchen great to sanitize my equipment in.

This is the biggest point, in my view any ways... where to store the beer. I had to build a makeshift room attaching to the garage with a heater and a thermostat. I ended up throwing out a lot of batches (look at my signature) trying to get this method to work. The best way to contain an Ale is at room temps... the best way to contain a lager is fridge temps with a controller. Thus, ferment in the house, and stand our ground ;) Fermenting beer does release some nasty smells, and women hate nasty (and if she doesn't then you're with the wrong woman) I had to sacrifice my work space as storage so I could use the space under the stairs as my fermentation area. Once a week I put an aromatic electric plug in to keep it smelling fresh (as fresh as rank yeast scents can accompany). If you have no space to sacrifice then try to win a closet(any closet). Good things come with sacrifices. And remember to keep the nasty smell away from her nose, and her area!

Once I had the physical aspects of brewing and marriage covered, it came down to the mental aspects. First, make sure you wife enjoys some kind of beer. Even if its Corona light, or Michelob Ultra. Take interest in what she likes in a beer and plan to brew a beer for her a clone every 3 to 4 months. Make sure to keep it very alcoholic for your pleasure .

You now have all the basics of a women covered. Its :

* No offensive smell
* No extra work for her
* Your brewing with her in your heart

Unless she is anti-beer, she will be flattered. And you can go on with your existence. This is the struggle which is man... keeping beer and women in harmony, good luck, and tell her I said HI :)

my guidlines are simpler because SWMBO likes beer, likes the smell, and is willing to take over clean-up duty for all stages of production. That's her contribution to the process.

SO, my only guideline is: find a beer style that SWMBO really likes, create and tweak a recipe to perfection such that it suites HER tastes, and brew that recipe every other batch. :)

These threads always crack me up, because they're so different than the dynamics in my family. I'm far from a neat freak, but I'm a lot closer to it than my wife is. She couldn't care less what kind of mess I make as long as I clean it up. And I'm pretty-much in charge of the kitchen, so that's not an issue either.

Her big thing is the expenditures: I think she has this fantasy that homebrewing is for saving money vs storebought beer. That's true in a sense, but...

Or build you a brewshed like I did and move it all out there, except the final product ready for consumption. I also brew her a Stout once in a while so that she doesn't have too much to say about the time and money I spend at it.

<- indoor brewer. I hear no less than 25 times during and hours after cleanup how she hates that smell. maybe more like 35 times. anyway she deals with it by saying that 45 times maybe? or 55? 65? countless?

she enjoys the brew so it's all good:mug:

Walker-san said:
my guidlines are simpler because SWMBO likes beer, likes the smell, and is willing to take over clean-up duty for all stages of production. That's her contribution to the process.

SO, my only guideline is: find a beer style that SWMBO really likes, create and tweak a recipe to perfection such that it suites HER tastes, and brew that recipe every other batch. :)

What does SYMBO mean?

I appropriated a corner in the basement, set up shelves, then installed a utility sink next to the washer.. she gets to use "my sink" and me cleaning/sanitizing in the basement keeps her off my back. I brew outside, on the driveway so the smell is enjoyed by my neighbor (he likes it) not vented back into the house.

When I told her James is giving me a full sized fridge when he transfers to Korea, she asked where I planned to put it.. I hinted at the basement but told her probably the garage.. She then asked if I was going to use the freezer, told her just for storing hops.... She appropriated 3/4 of the freezer space and is going to let me put it in the basement....

Compromise for the Win!

Yeah, my wife doesn't care. She sees it as a hobby for me and an outlet with which to be creative. She knows that the money isn't eating into our baby formula budget so I don't get griefed over it. She finds it amusing and slightly dorky, but as long as I clean up, she doesn't care.

She's not a fan of my brews, but that's OK. She used to be a bigtime Miller Lite drinker but hasn't drank much beer since prior to being pregnant. She's more into red wine these days.

Some people have wives that pwn them. Mine stays amused by my antics. She knows I've given up smoking cigg's and pot for her so I don't get hassled for brewing. She's mentioned that she would like to find a hobby for herself too.

Cheesefood said:
She's mentioned that she would like to find a hobby for herself too.

How about bottle washing? I mean, she might already be washing bottles for Miles, so why not throw in 50 12oz long necks while she's at it? :D

-walker

Walker-san said:
How about bottle washing? I mean, she might already be washing bottles for Miles, so why not throw in 50 12oz long necks while she's at it? :D

-walker

Getting me back for the jokes I made about you?

Yeah, "Honey, can you wash my bottles?" I might as well ask her to make me a sammich while I'm at it.

A big part of my brew day planning is about making the day have as little impact on my wife as possible. If I can brew when she is gone I will do that or she works nights so I can brew in the mornings when she is sleeping. I try to work it so when she comes home or wakes up she can't tell that I just brewed a batch of beer.
I do the boil out side so I don't make a huge mess in the kitchen. I make a bit of a mess though so I always tell her the night before to just leave the kitchen and I will clean it after I brew. I always return the kitchen to her in better shape than when I started.
I store all my equipment, fermenters, and beer in the basement.

I will always try to have a brew available that she likes. I've got a very light honey ale that is going over very well right now.
By buying grains and hops in bulk as well as pitching harvested yeast, I've lowered the cost of my brews. This has gone over very well with my wife.

RichBrewer said:
I will always try to have a brew available that she likes. I've got a very light honey ale that is going over very well right now.
By buying grains and hops in bulk as well as pitching harvested yeast, I've lowered the cost of my brews. This has gone over very well with my wife.

How many weeks have you been married? You sound very in tune with her feelings. It sounds like you try very hard to please her and keep her as happy as possible.

I've tried to develop a Wifbeer that she'll like, but it's impossible to turn a Miller Lite head onto Ale.

digdan said:
This keeps the mess out of your wifes kitchen

No prob there- it's MY kitchen; SWMBO doesn't cook. I still brew outside tho- She hates the smell and I'd rather be outdoors anyway, even in winter.:)

digdan said:
You now have all the basics of a women covered. Its :

* No offensive smell

true.....

digdan said:
* No extra work for her

I won't let her NEAR my beer stuff!:rockin:

digdan said:
* Your brewing with her in your heart

NOT-she hates beer, so I brew for myself and friends:mug:

All in all SWMBO doesn't mind the brewing stuff. Besides, as metioned in a different thread, she bought me the starter kit, so it's her fault anyway:)

Cheesefood said:
How many weeks have you been married? You sound very in tune with her feelings. It sounds like you try very hard to please her and keep her as happy as possible.

I've tried to develop a Wifbeer that she'll like, but it's impossible to turn a Miller Lite head onto Ale.
Weeks? Try 17 years. In tune with her feelings? I don't know about that but I do know that this hobby wouldn't be any fun for me if my wife gets pissed every time I brew. Not that I can complain. She has been pretty good all in all.
I hate to say it but the honey ale I brewed her is very close to a BMC.

Edit: Can't spell

RichBrewer said:
brewhead said:
wives huh ... hmmm you guy are crazy insane
I can't argue that point...:mug:

Are you guys talking about just being married or having more than 1 wife?? :confused:

Married to 1 good wife = heaven on earth

Married to 1 bad wife = hell on earth

Married to 2+ women (good or bad) = some kind of hell I can't even imagine!

You guys know what the punishment for having one wife is, don't you?

It's having more than one wife.

I grew up in Utah, I can say that.

ablrbrau said:
No prob there- it's MY kitchen; SWMBO doesn't cook. I still brew outside tho- She hates the smell and I'd rather be outdoors anyway, even in winter.:)

true.....

I won't let her NEAR my beer stuff!:rockin:

NOT-she hates beer, so I brew for myself and friends:mug:

All in all SWMBO doesn't mind the brewing stuff. Besides, as metioned in a different thread, she bought me the starter kit, so it's her fault anyway:)

I don't have to read any of the other posts to know you and I are of a same mind. This is me exactly.
I've been married for 29 years and we click together. I do my thing, she does hers. We always have time for each other and our children and grandkids.
I love to cook and brew beer and my wife loves neither. She do enjoy my cooking and brewing however.
I gave up smoking over a year ago to have money to spend on improving my beer making skills and since moving to all grain brewing have met most of my goals.

boo boo said:
I don't have to read any of the other posts to know you and I are of a same mind. This is me exactly.
I've been married for 29 years and we click together. I do my thing, she does hers. We always have time for each other and our children and grandkids.
I love to cook and brew beer and my wife loves neither. She do enjoy my cooking and brewing however.
I gave up smoking over a year ago to have money to spend on improving my beer making skills and since moving to all grain brewing have met most of my goals.

29 years? Very impressive, esp in this day and age. It's 15 years for us and still going strong.........:ban:

I own the kitchen and all that happens there, so all the messes are mine with very few exceptions. I found after several brewing sessions that the wife did not like the smell of the hops. The rest was fine but the hops in the boil was very unpleasant to her. Next time I brewed I moved outside and now she feels guilty for driving me from the air conditioned space to stand over a boil pot in hot, humid FL. You just can't win, you can only hope for a draw.:D

I have discovered since I started brewing that she likes a good stout so I brew that from time to time for her. And make wine, which she loves to give away after it has aged properly and I release it for consumption.

jldesign said:
<- indoor brewer. I hear no less than 25 times during and hours after cleanup how she hates that smell. maybe more like 35 times. anyway she deals with it by saying that 45 times maybe? or 55? 65? countless?

she enjoys the brew so it's all good:mug:

Same here. The ONLY batch I ever did inside was my very first batch, and years later I still am reminded of how it "stunk up the whole damn house" every single time I brew. After that, I was banished to the outdoors. But, on the plus side, a propane burner works much better than electric stove-top anyway.

digdan said:
Y

.....would wait until my wife would go on a walk or do something time consuming to clean my equipment, and she would never notice. My wife loves that I brew, but she *HATES* messes... her hate for messes hat makes her kitchen great to sanitize my equipment in......

IMHO, getting her out of the house AND brewing outside is the way to go.
Messes will happen. The trick is to clean it up before she gets back ;)

Clearly,

Happy wife => More Brewing
Unhappy wife => Less Brewing

Greyhair

this is a new hobby for me as I am taking a break from being a magician. The cost isn't a large deal cause the wife has her own money that she get to do with what she wants and I get my share also. Giving up the magic hobby is totally my choice I'm just tired of performing and always wanted to learn to brew beer and wine. I will be making my first batch soon. I am going out of state to visit a friend next month who is brewing his first batch and has asked me to come sample it with him. We will be going to a brew store where I will be getting the nessicary equipment to get this venture started off right.

I can't imagine getting annoyed by a hobby. It beats the alternative, someone who sits around doing nothing all the time.

Latest posts

Back