Gonna be a good one...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerT

Reaction score
Well, some of you may remember my high gravity dilema from last week. I brewed NB's Winter Warmer which was supposed to be around 1.066 SG. Mine clocked in at an astounding 1.083 SG (corrected for temp). I was a bit worried, as I was not expecting it to be that high and therefore, I didn't use a starter (just a smack pack). So beggining on day 4, I started swirling the primary three times a day (morning, after work, bed) to keep it going.

Last night, I checked and the airlock was down to one bubble per 2~3min. I decided to check the gravity and see if it was still high. I was shocked to see it clock in at 1.016!! Woah! SO, I sanitized some more equipment and transfered to secondary. Smelled a little strong, but smelled good. And the color was a deep brown. I thikn its gonna be a good one. And with a potential ABV of 8.9%, its gonna be quite a WInter Warmer indeed. :drunk:

-Todd

orfy said:
What was the recipe?

Winter Warmer
0.75 lbs Simpson Crystal
0.25 lbs Simpson Chocolate
9.9 lbs Gold Malt Syrup
1 oz Norther Brewer Hops (60min)
1 oz Styrian Goldings (30min)
1 oz Kent Goldings (1min)
Wyeast #1728 Scottish Ale Yeast

Norther Brewer says it is supposed to be 1.066, mine came in a little higher. I have run it through a few recipe calculators who show it around 1.079.....no idea why mine was so high.

_Todd

5-gallons in the primary. I left a little last night, as I didn't want to suck up to much trub. My guess is I am sitting at about 4.8 gllons or so at the moment.

-Todd

orfy said:
If the store measured the sg for a greater amount, that may explain the difference?

I wrote them, and they said 1.066 for 5-gallons. I have no clue what caused it. But, I am trying to just Relax,Not Worrry and have a Home Brew.....

-Todd

I had the opposite problem, calculated sg of 1.074 and it came up 1.065 (after correction).
That's with
1kg brown sugar
2kg dme
1.6kg lme
500g crystal malt
up to five uk gals

so added another 500g dme

Back