Brew lager as ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbase9

Reaction score
I really want to brew a bock similar to Sam Adams Winter Lager, but i don't have the equipment to lager. What happens if you don't lager a lager?

IT'LL TASTE LIKE CRAP!

Jk

What temp can you keep constant?

Nottingham is good down to 57* and is known to be a good clean yeast

robbase9 said:
I really want to brew a bock similar to Sam Adams Winter Lager, but i don't have the equipment to lager. What happens if you don't lager a lager?

You'll get a steam beer or California Common. Might be interesting.

Chad

yup, it'll be a steam beer. keep it as cool as possible for best results.

look on the bright side...you probably won't need a diacetyl rest :)

robbase9 said:

Do you have the knowledge and equipment to ferment at lager yeast fermenting temps? About 50 ish. If so, you can make a lager. Might not
be as smooth as one lagered colder, but I bet it will taste almost as good.

This may or may not help you, but I would like to point you to Edwort's Oktoberfest Ale. He uses kolsch yeast for this brew and claims it works out great. I have complete faith in Ed's recipes and will be brewing this in the morning. It my might be the wrong time of year to brew this, but I'll pretend it's spring.https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=38880 Hope this helps you out.

Robar said:
This may or may not help you, but I would like to point you to Edwort's Oktoberfest Ale. He uses kolsch yeast for this brew and claims it works out great. I have complete faith in Ed's recipes and will be brewing this in the morning. It my might be the wrong time of year to brew this, but I'll pretend it's spring.https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=38880 Hope this helps you out.

Yup, St. Arnold out of Houston uses their Ale yeast for their O'Fest..

Latest posts

Back