Day 6 - No Airlock activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, If it bubbled at one time, let it go a few days and take a hydrometer reading. I'm guessing it's done.

I've had beers that never have airlock activity that are fine. Only way to know is a gravity reading! Most of my beers are done bubbling within 3-4 days.

I'm sure you're fine!

Hydrometer (or refractometer) tells all. With some of my carboys I tie chord around the cap to seal it off better. Bubbling is not a definitive but it is a decent indication what's going on inside. Go with the hydrometer to be sure. I've had beers continue to bubble and the FG stayed the same for days. Gravity reading like others suggested is the ticket. But it's okay to want to see bubbling. Just don't completely trust it.

bubbling means nothing. Use hydrometer.. once stable over 2-3 days, let sit for 1 week, bottle/keg/secondary.

Actually, thats not quite true. Bubbling means there is fermentation. The adsense of bubbling, however may our may not indicate fermentation.

just stop looking at it....my best advice to all new brewers is to set it away in a dark room for 3 weeks and just forget about it. Don't even look at it....those yeast know what they are doing....and you don't. So quit poking around and find something better to do....like making more beer.

Hugh_Jass said:
Actually, thats not quite true. Bubbling means there is fermentation. The adsense of bubbling, however may our may not indicate fermentation.

In the context of the OP's question, bubbling means nothing.

In the context of the OP's question, bubbling means nothing.

That very well may be and I responded as such.

In the context of my quoted response, though, it is entirely appropriate. You said bubbling means nothing. Bubbling does mean SOMETHING in the primary fermentation period. The absence of bubbling may or may not mean anything. There is a difference.;)

just stop looking at it....my best advice to all new brewers is to set it away in a dark room for 3 weeks and just forget about it. Don't even look at it....those yeast know what they are doing....and you don't. So quit poking around and find something better to do....like making more beer.

The best advice. But next to impossible for the new brewer.:cross: I remember my first few batches. My heartbeat was in-time with those freakin' bubbles. My days revolved around monitoring temperature. After a while, ya learn to just ignore it for 3 or 4 weeks and then bottle/keg and let sit some more. Patience is the hardest thing to incorporate into this hobby. And yes, start brewing something else to ease your mind.

Just what I saw,in my own FV...was it reflections of my warped mind staring back at me? cause in my eyes...it's always there! That bubbly face that twists my mind & brings me to dispare....seems to,...mesmerize...can't avoid it's eye!
Especially with the brew stand to my right. Kind of a comp room/man cave. Can't wait to get a fridge in here for my beers.
But,don't worry about airlock activity. The fact that it's bubbling merely indicates the presence of access co2 venting from what is nothing more than a 1-way pressure relief valve. When it stops bubbling (if it ever started to begin with),just says in my experience that initial,vigorous fermentation is over. It's still fermenting,but slowly crawling down to FG. Have some patience & a home brew...:mug:

I do not see airlock activity in 90% of my beers and they all ferment, and by the way I check to see if there is airlock activity a lot.:cross:

Back