Scorched Pan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msppilot

Reaction score
Last time I brewed I got some scorching on the bottom of my brew kettle. I tried several times to clean it, but it looks like it is on there good. Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean it? If I can't get if clean, will it affect my next brew?

I would try oxyclean free and hot water let it sit for a day or two. As for off flavors I suppose it's a possibility. If your adding DME or LME to your wort be sure to turn off the heat source and be sure the extract is completely diluted and mixed in before you return to boil .

I add DME's to the boiling water,just stir with one hand (I prefer a paddle),& pour with the other. I leave the LME's for the end,since they go to the bottom straight away. I stir them in off the heat source,which I leave on.
I've found if it's burnt black on the bottom inside,PBW or oxy-clean will only remove the smaller bits. You can try an old timer's trick I was taught. Get the pot really hot (empty),then quickly plunge into a little ice water in the sink. The sudden expansion/contraction can crack it loose.
If it's just sorts caramel colored,Soaking for a couple days in PBW or oxy-clean will help loosen it. Just maybe 2" or so in the bottom of the BK. Since I use Dobie brand scrubbers (the nylon covered fine sponge ones),I go to it a couple times a day & give it a scrub to try & loosen some of it. Say before & after work. I got mine clean that way before,& it's stainless steel.
Then give it a good polishing with an SOS pad. They'll shine real purty again!:mug:

Back