Tizwin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floatingmo

Reaction score
Anyone happen to have a recipe for the Apache beer, Tizwin? Sounds interesting, but I have never seen anything posted on it anywhere.

Thanks Oldsock. I know that Dogfish Head brewery came out with a test beer based on Chicha and they did convert with saliva. Tizwin was supposedly made from sprouted corn, but I don't know if it was converted with saliva or not. Can't say the saliva thing interests me too much. I would prob. try and update the recipe a bit.

If it was malted corn then I believe that would have the enzymes to convert itself (no siliva required). There is some information out there about home malting, but figuring out type of corn, what yeast to use etc… will prove difficult.

Yes, it does make sense that if they sprouted it, that it would contain the enzymes. Might have to try and do a little research on the corn that might have been used. Though not sure the type of corn they would have used back then would even be available today. As far as yeast goes, I am guessing that they prob. just kept unwashed fermentation jars and re-used whatever yeast was in there from the last batch not even realizing the yeast caused the fermentation. Not sure what would be an approximation of that. I just thought maybe someone would have heard of a recipe. If nothing else, it might be worth a little experimentation.

I found this awhile ago...

"First, they soaked the corn overnight in water. They dug a long trench and lined it with grass, placed the soaked corn in the trench, and covered it with another layer of grass. Sometimes they covered the whole with earth or a blanket. After sprinkling the corn with water morning and evening for ten days, during which it sprouted, they took it out, ground it with their grinding stones (mano and metate), and the boiled it for five hours. Finally, they strained off the liquid and set it aside. After about twenty-four hours, when it stopped bubbling, it was ready to drink." (From Geronimo by Angie Debo, p. 22)

originally posted here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/fermented-cactus-juice-134965/index2.html

FWIW, the Apache's also call it "tiswin" or "tulupai"

Back