2009 lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleroots

Reaction score
my 2009 double bock has been fermenting for close to six months now and is still showing signs of activity in the secondary. meaning there are still little air bubbles that are making it to the top of this beer. should I wait to bottle this or should I just bottle condition for the rest of the summer. Also with a lager, once I bottle the brew, what temp should I condition at for this style.:tank:

Under normal fermentation temperature circumstances for lagers, that should have finished fermenting long ago. It is most likely just CO2 coming ut of solution causing the airlock activity.

Bottle conditioning lagers can usually be done at room temp just like ales. There is some risk however, when using malt-based sugars for priming, to producing esters and other noticeable off-flavors from the carbonation fermentation. But if you use corn sugar/dextrose, room temp. should be fine for lagers. After 6 months of lagering though, you probably want to add a little yeast to the bottling bucket.

There can be a good amount of dissolved CO2 in beer well after fermentation is done that will bubble and even cause airlocks to bubble. The real key to knowing when it's done is by taking consecutive hydrometer readings.

Bottle condition at your original fermentation temps.

Sounds good, I'll take that advice on the yeast, and I prime all my beers with dextrose, so nothing to worry there. I'll plan on bottling next week. I cant wait to enjoy this one come fall time.

Back