Hop growing with limited sun light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedeen

Reaction score
hello.

I 'm hoping that the 2 hours of direct sunlight is gonna be enough for my hop plants. anyone else have any luck in limited sunlight? i'm curious.

Some of my hops don't get full sunlight all day, one gets 4 hours or so I'd be (i haven't really looked in to it too much. 2 hours might not work but it is cheap enough to try. Also Sunbeam might be a good variety for you, it is mostly ornamental but I hear it has a taste similar to saaz

i'm gonna see what happens... or i'm gonna put them out on the front yard and piss the neighborhood association off. ha!

Mine grow in filtered sun here in Birmingham. My 2nd year Cascades are about 15ft long right now. They are growing up my neighbor's privacy fence right beside my hydrangeas. Just keep em watered and fed.

They're gonna grow, but it certainly isn't ideal. The amount of sunlight the plants receive will directly affect the amount and size of the cones, and will also affect the AA% and amount of essential oils in the cones. Basically, the more light they can get, the better they will be, and with only 2 hours of direct light, you may end up with some nice tall vines and no cones.

In case this ever happens to you again, check out thrift stores for mirrors and try and lean them up accordingly. Twenty bucks can get you a long way.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back