Rheem 120V 2000W

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJBrewVT

Reaction score
http://bostonheatingsupply.com/SP10868GL.aspx

I purchased one of these from Boston Heating Supply. Came loose in the box and looks used. The model number is faded out. Anyone else order one of these from them? I was expecting retail packaging.

Also, does it matter which terminal is hooked up to hot? Neutral? I know the answer is no for 240V elements, but not sure for 120V.

Oops! One more question. Should I try to scrub off the dark outer layer to get to the stainless steel underneath?

I have no info on the quality of items at Boston Heating Supply but as for the wiring it does not matter for most loads which terminal neutral and hot go to. AC, or alternating current, flows back and forth so it doesn't matter what wire goes where. DC, or direct current, on the other hand has a definite A to B path and needs to be wired correctly

http://bostonheatingsupply.com/SP10868GL.aspx

I purchased one of these from Boston Heating Supply. Came loose in the box and looks used. The model number is faded out. Anyone else order one of these from them? I was expecting retail packaging.

Also, does it matter which terminal is hooked up to hot? Neutral? I know the answer is no for 240V elements, but not sure for 120V.

Oops! One more question. Should I try to scrub off the dark outer layer to get to the stainless steel underneath?
My personal opinion: Do not mess with it. Call the vendor and have them replace it.

BTW: The 'dark layer' is part of the fabrication of the element. Clean it but don't "scrub" it. It is an Incoloy element after all..

P-J

I ordered two of those from Boston Heating Suppply, they came packed loose as well. They worked fine.

That said, what is your intended use for them? I tried to use them in my eHLT and eBoil kettle, but they are just too small for a 5 gallon batch. Heating the strike water took well over an hour, and the boil was very weak.

I pulled those out and replaced them with 5500W 240V camco elements...MUCH better.

I ordered two of those from Boston Heating Suppply, they came packed loose as well. They worked fine.

That said, what is your intended use for them? I tried to use them in my eHLT and eBoil kettle, but they are just too small for a 5 gallon batch. Heating the strike water took well over an hour, and the boil was very weak.

I pulled those out and replaced them with 5500W 240V camco elements...MUCH better.

That's odd. I do 11 gallon batches with 4000W and it's a solid boil. 2000W is about perfect for a 5 gallon batch. What are you boiling in?

On a side note, I wonder if you are really getting what you paid for. I ordered a 1500W 120V element from Plumbingsupply.com. It was supposed to be ULWD. Well, after some scorching issues I got a LWD element from Rheem. I'ts more than twice the size of the supposedly ULWD element I had previously.

A number of people have complained about this. So I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you did not get what you ordered. If you are boiling in a keggle, 2000W should be fine. 5500W for a 5 gallons batch is way too much power, no?

Dgonza9 said:
That's odd. I do 11 gallon batches with 4000W and it's a solid boil. 2000W is about perfect for a 5 gallon batch. What are you boiling in?

On a side note, I wonder if you are really getting what you paid for. I ordered a 1500W 120V element from Plumbingsupply.com. It was supposed to be ULWD. Well, after some scorching issues I got a LWD element from Rheem. I'ts more than twice the size of the supposedly ULWD element I had previously.

A number of people have complained about this. So I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you did not get what you ordered. If you are boiling in a keggle, 2000W should be fine. 5500W for a 5 gallons batch is way too much power, no?

I boil in a 9 gallon stainless kettle. Even with a reflectix jacket, the boil was weak and took forever to get up to temp.

Not sure what you mean by "too big" Water/wort heats up quick, then I use a PID to throttle power to maintain the boil (usually around 60%)

I could have gone with a smaller element, but I plan on upgrading to 20 gallon kettles in the future, so wanted to size the electrical components for 10 gallon batches.

It is possible they sent me a smaller element, I could hook one up and measure the current draw to test.

I boil in a 9 gallon stainless kettle. Even with a reflectix jacket, the boil was weak and took forever to get up to temp.

Not sure what you mean by "too big" Water/wort heats up quick, then I use a PID to throttle power to maintain the boil (usually around 60%)

I could have gone with a smaller element, but I plan on upgrading to 20 gallon kettles in the future, so wanted to size the electrical components for 10 gallon batches.

It is possible they sent me a smaller element, I could hook one up and measure the current draw to test.

Ah, so a 9 gallon BK means you are doing 6 gallon batches? I'm not controlling my elements with a PID. Mine are on full power so I have to be sure the wattage is what I need.

Are you boiling 7 gallons or so, then?

Yes, my pre boil volume is 7 gallons.... after evaporation and trub loss I usually only get a bit over 5 gallons in the keg.

I just purchased the 2000W rheem from bost heating supply and it heats the exact same as my old 1650W emerson. I am going to call Boston because I think they are selling 1650W and 2000W and something seems shady

The specifications should be printed on the plastic head of the element.

You can also check it with a multimeter. If its 120V, 2000W, it should read about 7.2 ohms.

Hi, could any of you that have purchased this element tell me the diameter of the threads? I am having a fitting welded onto my pot for but need to know what size fitting to have them use, thanks!!

Hi, could any of you that have purchased this element tell me the diameter of the threads? I am having a fitting welded onto my pot for but need to know what size fitting to have them use, thanks!!

It's a 1" NPS (National Pipe Straight) thread. It actually measures 1.293/1.281 in. diameter.

Mine came lose as well. I have no problem getting full boils in a 8 gal pot. This is using 1 element and a on/off switch. I do put a couple of towels over the kettle to get it started. After that it rolls just fine. Also it gets plugged into a 120v outlet on its own fuse block not shared with any other outlets.

I use that same element (came loose also, but from a different seller). and it can boil 7 gallons fine in my 11 gal kettle.

IMG_0149.jpg

Mine boils so hard that I can't leave it covered all the way and wrapped . I wonder why some get a strong boil and others don't ?

e7a2025ffdacaf15139c9e4974aa8a8c_zps607c7f32.jpg

Back