Keep a fridge from freezing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a fridge in my garage that I'm converting to a kegerator. However, my garage is detached and will get cold enough to freeze. Anyone know of a good product I can use to keep my fridge above freezing?

something to consider: the reason refrigerators work so well is that they keep interior cold air in, they also do a wonderful job of keeping out exterior air. As such, your garage would have to get Alaska cold - and stay that way for a long time for it to actually impact your kegs.

I've frozen kegs, but that's because I was dumb and had my fridge set far too low.

something to consider: the reason refrigerators work so well is that they keep interior cold air in, they also do a wonderful job of keeping out exterior air. As such, your garage would have to get Alaska cold - and stay that way for a long time for it to actually impact your kegs.

I've frozen kegs, but that's because I was dumb and had my fridge set far too low.

Based on my personal experience this is not true. My keezer is in the garage and the temps have been anywhere from -5 to 25F. Don't know the temp in my garage but my freezer has not ran in a couple days. My temp controller is saying the temp inside the freezer is 1.0-1.2C. I didn't wire up the heating side of the controller but plan on it and I already have a desk lamp in there to heat it up.

I'm thinking of running a heater just on a temperature controller. I'll leave the fridge as is, as it works fine when it gets too warm, I'll just make sure the heater is set below what the fridge is at.

Latest posts

Back