Turkey Fryer With No IC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cskid

Reaction score
So I am a novice home brewer who is about to brew my third ever batch. This time I am moving outdoors to use the turkey fryer and try a full boil instead of a partial. My problem is I do not have a IC and live in Florida (the cold weather is not there to help). Has anyone ever used a keg bucket and ice bags with a aluminum turkey fryer pot to chill the wort? Want the IC but, need to brew a few more before I justify the cost or head to Home Depot for a DIY.

Any thoughts? Pretty excited about my first outdoor boil!! :ban:

Haven't done it myself, but it's been done. Start the cooling process by running water into the bucket. When the wort gets to 100F or so, shut the water off and add the ice to finish the job.

FWIW, I put of full volume boils until I had an adequate way to cool 5 gallons of boiling wort quickly. Considering it would take me almost half an hour to cool 2.x gallons of wort in an ice bath, I can't imagine how long it would take with a full volume boil.

I used to do that all the time before I got a bigger kettle and an IC. Do what David said and cool it down with plain water first to a around 100-120 then add the ice. You might have to dump the water and refill a few times before you get down to that point. Also, stirring helps a lot.

I use a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer, a 7 dollar large rope handled plastic bucket from Walmart and roughly 5 frozen gallon milk jugs to cool 6 gallons in 20 min. At first we put a brick in the bottom so it wouldn't touch the plastic but we soon realized that the kettle floats. I use my stir paddle to stir the water on the outside of the kettle and then add the large chuncks of ice as needed from the milk jugs that we cut open and break up some. The larger the chuncks the slower it melts. A couple of times we will drain some of the water, because we start overflowing. Hope this helps.

Yep, It'll work, I did the ice bath method for a long time. Or I did no chill and pitched the yeast the next day.

Whatever you decide to do, definitely use the milk jugs, or any other vessel that can refrozen. You don't want to spend $20 on bagged ice evey time you brew.

Thank you for everyones help. Love this site! Any little lapse in confidence about something in brewing and it seems almost instantly people are there to get your back! What a friendly hobby! Cheers everyone!

Back