AHS Dry Stout Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been a lurker for a long time now, just getting back into homebrewing. I'm starting with extracts again, and bought a AHS Dry Stout Kit (DME). I plan on doing a 2 - 2.5 gallon boil, with only about 1# of DME boiling for the full sixty minutes. The rest (5#) I will add at flameout. Two questions:

1. Will I need to make significant adjustments to the Nugget hops since I am doing the late malt addition? I will be topping up to 5 gallons with water.

2. Do I run a high risk of scorching the wort since I am adding so little DME upfront? I'm probably more paranoid about this than I should be, but I want to make good use of this kit.

Thanks!

To avoid scorching, take the pot of the heat before adding the remaining extract, then stir like crazy before returning to the heat.

Yes, hop utilization varies based on the SG of the boil, I think. But I would just go with the recipe, it will be fine and there are many, many variables for hops utilization.

Brewed this up last night. Took a little longer than I thought due to the stove being not-so-powerful, but wort smelled and tasted alright. I am doing the primary in an ale pail with the lid placed on, not snapped. Question: Is it plausible to leave the lid unsnapped for 3-4 weeks, as I'm skipping secondary? I'm having trouble getting a seal. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back