Time in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrVertebrae

Reaction score
I have this Hop Scare IPA going now. I started it on 8/22. It had about 8lbs of fermentables and I used WLP California V Ale yeast. I let it go to completion and on 9/9 racked it into a keg with some dry hops. Its been essentially at 69F to 70F since then; basically two weeks. I wrote about this one earlier but decided to ask this as a fresh question.

Obviously I am getting impatient but should I keep it at this temp for a while longer or go ahead and cool it down and let it carb up. In the cold it will also continue to condition a bit, yes or no?

I guess I could just taste it at this temp first and decide then but they taste so different when not cooled down.

Is this is still in the secondary? If its been dry hoping for 2 weeks, you should bottle it asap. After bottle conditioning for 3 weeks it should be g2g. I just tried my IIPA after a week, because I like to see how it progresses.

Edit just saw you are kegging it. I'm not to familiar with kegging, but it seems, cool it and carb it up to the pressure you need. Then test it.

I like the fresh hops aroma that comes with less than a week of dryhopping. I normally dryhop for 5 days or so, then keg and put it right in the kegerator to hold onto that fresh hops aroma. I'd chill it and drink it sooner, rather than later.

I like that advice. It goes into the frig today and should be carbed up and ready to sample by the weekend.

Ok, I tried it this past weekend and it is excellent. Plenty of hops aroma and flavor.

A lot of people do their conditioning in the keg. That's how most people do Lager beer. If I know I'm going to keg then I'll transfer it right to the keg from primary and condition cold (low to mid 40s) while it's carbing up at about 12psi.

I wouldn't have worried about the temp. Once it's in the Keg I'd hook up the CO2 and let it all mix together.

As of the past few days, this brew is tasting nice. Its bitter and has the grapefruit aroma. It heads up nicely and slides down the glass like lovely lace. Its kind of strong too. I have this barley wine that's ready to be kegged in the same fashion with some dry hops. I loves my hops.

Back