Leaky carboy cap quick fix...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewChem

Reaction score
Thought I'd pass this along...

I put on a batch and pitched with a good, healthy starter. Could plainly see that there was active fermentation but wasn't getting the "blub-blub-blub" sound I love so much in my airlock. Turns out that the orange carboy cap wasn't sealing anymore. For a quick fix, I wrapped a strip of Cling Wrap around the neck and cap and viola..! Bubbling away happily now... easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy..!

7578-fermentcap.jpg

Good tip. It's amazing how many uses I've found for things like cling wrap and tin-foil in the brewery.

Those orange carboy caps never do make a perfect seal. That being said you are worrying too much about the seal. Ive made about 15 batches using them instead of airlocks and not one has got infected. Bacteria arnt going go up inside

I'm not so much worried about bacteria... I'll be leaving this one in the fermenter for a while and don't want air to be able to seep in once the fermentation has finished and there's no longer a positive pressure in the head space. I also want to make sure that all the foam goes through the tube and I don't have any seeping out arond the cap.

Also, like I said... I love to hear the bubbles..! I worked hard for the bubbles..!

Back