botting 24 oz'er

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelgbot

Reaction score
Ok so I brewed a five g batch of so kolsch beer and I fermented it 3 weeks In the primarythen bottled in 24 oz bottles about 25 for the 5 gallon batch will the carbonation take longer about the same I heard somewhere it took 8 months for someones brew to properly carbonate to drinking status mind you it's been in the fridge for one week? Or did I completely funk up thanx y'all

If you used the correct amount of priming sugar the ratio should be uniform for the whole batch, so it should take about the same time to carbonate regardless of bottle size. The 8 months story was probably someone waiting for a higher ABV beer to MATURE (taste right, not carbonate). Last, and most important, they shouldn't be in the fridge right now. You want to leave them at ~70F for 3 weeks in order to carbonate, then chill em, else they won't carb. Should be fine if you just take them out and let them warm up to 70.

for the beer to carbonate it needs to be held at 70 degrees, so id take it out of the fridge...

I recently bottled some 24 ouncers and I cracked one open after 10 days and it was pretty decently carbonated. It could have been a little more carbonated, but it was certainly decent. Tomorrow will be two weeks since bottling, so I'll probably crack one open tomorrow to see what it's like now.

Bombers and other big bottles can take a little longer, but just to reaffirm what people have said: get them out of the fridge. You want these bottles at 70F or something in that neighborhood (60-80) until they're carbed, which could take 2-4 weeks.

Wouldn't hurt to shake those ones from the fridge to make sure the yeast haven't all dropped out, too.

Koelsch is one of my favorite beers. In fact I'm getting ready to brew some up in the next couple weeks. After 3-4 weeks to carb up in the bottles, give it at least another three weeks in the fridge to cold condition-you'll be glad you did. You will likely have some chill haze if you drink it early, but that's really only aesthetic.

Back