Not much action.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mufflerbearing

Reaction score
I pitched my milk stout at 78 and I got some good bubbling after about 12 hours. It rocked for about 2 days then is just chillin now. Fern temp is 68-70 this seem ok?

What yeast? Too late now, but isn't that a little high for a ferm temp?

Also, whether that is within the target range for the yeast or not, it's pretty warm, so I agree with the last post. I would expect the fermentation to start fast and violent then die off quickly. Leave it another two weeks, take your gravity measurements and proceed with the plan (bottle, keg, secondary, dry hop, etc.).

78 is WAY too high, even though the instructions may say it's ok to pitch "under 80 degrees". Next time, cool the wort to the mid to low 60s before adding yeast, and the beer will be much better for it.

for now, just assume it's about done and don't think about it for at least two more weeks.

I know better. I wasn't thinking. I pitch at 70 normally. It was a red pouch I think it was ferm safale us-05. Sprinkled on top. This won't happen again. I am going to let it sit till the week after Christmas.

I pitched at 75F and 85F once each and both turned out great. That was a Saison yeast though! :ban:

I like S-05 best at 60F flat.

Back