Austin All Grain option

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
You know I notice the in the Austin Homebrew website they tell you what is in the kits.... except the All Grain.... how many pounds of grain can you expect in the AG kits? Has anyone had problems with them?

I've only done their mini-mashs, which are great! I doubt the AG kits would be bad. How much grain depends on style, as usual. Their Rogue Mocha Porter MM comes with 5 pounds of amber LME and four pounds of grain. I'd expect about 10 lbs of grain in the AG.

Well, I was going to say that they don't tell you how much grain comes in the all grain kits because they don't want to give away the recipes, but now that I think about it, that kind of sucks. In order to know how much grain you need, you need to be able to tell them your brewhouse efficiency, which they don't let you do. I like them and order all of my crap from them, but I have never bought one of their all grain kits - I always just use my own recipes.

Give them a call! I was at their store a couple weeks ago and the staff were very VERY helpful. I bought a mini-mash version of their IPA II and they gave me an ingredients list and procedures for a first-time mini masher.

I have called them one other time on an unrelated question, and they are very open and honest. I'm sure they'll tell you exactly what you're getting.

the recipes come in detail with the kit. Unfortanately they assume a standard efficiency, but if you know your's is bad, then order a couple extra lb.s of 2-row with it.

I just finished my second all grain, a Belgian Wit from AHS, there was just under 10 LBS of grain, and they included the corriander and orange peel,(typical for this beer)
The instuctions were pretty good with only two mistakes in them. Glad for these forums, reading up alot, and for having one all grain under my belt! Stuff smelled great, OG @ 1054.

You know one thing I had asked this question is that in looking at the site for another thread I found the all grain option and what do you know they have the Sam Adams Summer Ale I tried... with 5 lbs of wheat. Obviously I need to try something easier then 5 lbs of wheat again. Yeah I think I'll give em an email and explain why I'm asking hahahahaa..... give them a laugh for the night at least:)

Back