Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbpiv

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast London Ale Yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Help!
Hey everyone. This is my first time using BeerSmith to put together a recipe. My buddy and I are trying to achieve an original Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout so we tried variation of grain bills and hops of other recipes and mashed together to see what we can get. I have attached what we did in BeerSmith in the image below, and was looking for some opinions on where to go with it. I am just learning with the software as well as custom recipes, so understand that from the start. Any help/opinion and tweaks would be greatly appreciated!

On top of what we put in the beersmith recipe, we planned on adding "peanut butter powder" as well as hersheys cocoa powder as well... opinions on that as well would be helpful, as far as amounts and what to put in.

Thanks again for the help! Sorry for the newbie post! Hoping to learn more as I read and tweak stuff!:mug:

The OG and FG, Color and IBU's are not set in stone so feel free to suggest what you feel.

Screen Shot 2013-02-18 at 8.58.09 PM.jpg

I know this is a rather old post but... I am curious about using peanut in brew

If I were to do it I would buy raw peanuts and roast 1 or 2 oz. my only real concern is the oiliness of the peanuts. I would experiment by throwing them in (crushed/ in bag) the last 10-15 min of boil just to get the flavors in there; too long and you will end up with an oil slick. Not sure how all of the ingredients in a peanut butter powder may affect fermentation especially if there are preservatives. Cocoa powder works fine; I have used it before. In the volume you are doing you would probably best between 1 and 1 1/2 oz. If you did 1 oz cocoa and 1/4 oz dark choc it might be more chocolatey.

I am fairly new to AG myself so I really cannot make an educated comment on your grain bill; however at first glance I feel like the amount of black barley and choc malt seem sort of high in relation to base malt. Not sure if 6.3% is too much... I would add 1 or 2 lb. of base malt instead of reducing specialty malts. I like big stouts and I cannot lie.

If you do this or anything with peanuts let me know.

You can't use regular peanuts in brew no matter what you do to modify them. The oils and fats can go rancid. Use this instead. All the best peanut butter beers use this ingredient. Defatted PB powder.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006P0M5LQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
:mug:

You can get rid of a lot of the oil by crushing them between paper towels and then roasting them on parchment paper (the paper absorbs a lot of the oil as it cooks out) You can skim oil off the surface as well as transferring to secondary from underneath the oil layer. Boiling the nuts releases the most oil; I have heard of mashing, boiling, and dry addition of nuts (including peanuts) without incidence but that is all hearsay.

I typically only add this much work to brew day if I am feeling adventurous. Or when I really want to learn something because it affects my motivation to clean up afterwards. :D
Maybe I'll get some of the powder and try it with the second runnings from an RIS I plan to brew this weekend.

Thanks for the tip; I should have guessed that there would be preservative free PB powder. I am assuming last 10 min of boil and between .5-1oz per gallon?

:off: just took a look at your blog; good stuff to be certain. I too am a brewing ginger dad w/ leprechaunesque facial hairs. Though it appears you have quite a bit more experience w/ at least the brewing and fatherhood! Cheers to you sir :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back